I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Nurses think they rule !!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nurses think they rule !!!  (Read 3389 times)
Razman

« on: August 19, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »

I was doing some volunteer work at a clinic and since I will be on dialysis some day the patients liked that we could talk straight about dialysis. We could share things that the nurses could never share (wouldn't spend the time) & the nurses hated it. They think that they are the boss and the rest of us should be idiots and know nothing. Do you ever feel the same way ?   Do you agree with the system ?   I give up !!!!

EDITED:Moved post to general discussion area-kitkatz,moderator

EDITED: Corrected spelling in subject line - okarol/moderator
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:47:55 AM by okarol » Logged
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »

I feel that way all the time- its like they resent anything you learn on your own- and its always important for them to know more then you, and when they do share things its in a vague way- because after all they went to school for it and you are incapable of really understanding something this complex.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:50:42 AM by okarol » Logged

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 05:27:17 PM »

Dont give up Razman, dont ever give up, although them damn nurses think they know it all, they dont know crap, they are not the ones with the disease, we are... Those patients need you and your knowledge and you need to learn from them as well for if and when that time comes and you have to do this (hopefully that wont be for a long long long time) ;)  You just keep on keepin on my friend, i admire you for what you do  :2thumbsup;

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:48:19 AM by okarol » Logged

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:32:07 PM »

I don't want to use this term lightly but You are their beacon in the night armed with more information about dialysis than the pope. To hell what the nurses say.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:50:12 AM by okarol » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:21:57 AM »

I say Give those nurses hell!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:48:39 AM by okarol » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:20:45 AM »

I find the range of knowledge among nurses varies widely, probably depending on where they were educated.  Some seem to know little more than the techniques of emptying bed pans, folding hospital corners on bedsheets, and putting in an IV lock.  Others are almost doctors in the extent of their knowledge of the specific area of medicine in which they practice.  Occasionally they are actually better than the doctos, because they actually bother to get to know the reality the patients are presenting them with, while the doctors are reluctant to venture outside the world of book learning they accumulated decades ago.

However, there is a nurse mentality which I really don't like.  Many nurses seem to have wanted to become army sergeants or policemen, but were turned away at the recruiting station, so they reluctantly took up nursing as the next best opportunity to boss people around.  They love to blame patients for the illnesses they have, scold them for non-compliance, no matter how impossible the demands of compliance are, and dominate every aspect of the patient's life.  They also filter all information about dialysis through the demands of a political ideology which says that everything will be fine if you just obey what the medical profession says -- which is an outright lie.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:49:32 AM by okarol » Logged
Stu

Oooooooh yeah!

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 06:31:51 PM »

My experiences might be a bit different because I'm in Australia, but I've gotta say that for the five years I spent on dialysis, the nurses were the ones who kept me sane.

When I was a depressive mess who couldn't stop the tears, it was reassuring to see the helplessness on their faces that they couldn't do anything to help me. They shared the joy and excitement at the birth of my two boys, and the whoops of delight from the nurses when my firstborn son took his first steps in the actual dialysis unit (that's right - how many people could say that?) will stay with me for the rest of my life.

As far as thinking that they were better than me, I never felt that way. I'm the kind of person who needs to know everything about their treatment. When it came time to analyse the monthly blood tests, the nurses, knowing this, just gave me the results and said something along the lines of "yell out if you've got any questions". This level of trust they showed in me gave me the desire to learn even more about the treatment, and the nurses never got angry when I questioned what they were doing.

Having read the horror stories here about staff - patient relations makes me realise how lucky I was to have been blessed with educated, caring (to the point of being loving) staff.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:49:16 AM by okarol » Logged

47 Fluid Control Suggestions for Dialysis Patients
Haemo 3 x a week, Ico bags overnight
Joker, smoker, midnight toker....
Tweet me at @AngryDXGuy if you dare
Slywalker

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:24:14 PM »

They love to blame patients for the illnesses they have, scold them for non-compliance, no matter how impossible the demands of compliance are, and dominate every aspect of the patient's life. 

Too Funny - well not too funny actually - I just had a run-in with a transplant coordinator, who is a nurse - and blamed me for not knowing what exact tests were updated and what were not.  Now I have to get some tests done within two weeks or my planned transplant date will be canceled!!!  so, keep in mind this was my fault!!!  Not theirs.  They could not be responsible for reviewing my file ahead of time.  No sirreeee.  Gosh - what a huge frustration. 

Until this annoying transplant coordinator I didn't have much to say about nurses, except I always check what they tell me.

Sandyb

thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 03:20:38 PM »

unfortunately the transplant coordinator you have to coddle. the rest of them forget it. over the years i've "fired" more than my share of nurses. you don't come into my hospital room or my children's and think you own the place, i do. if there's an attack nurse/receptionist at a doctors office, i find another doctor, because the doctor probably has the same attitude.  i'm lucky the nurse at the dialysis center is an angel. i have a few issues with the charge nurse, i think she's a terrible administrator,  but have solved that too, i go to the center director if problems aren't solved.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 05:02:31 PM »

However, there is a nurse mentality which I really don't like.  Many nurses seem to have wanted to become army sergeants or policemen, but were turned away at the recruiting station, so they reluctantly took up nursing as the next best opportunity to boss people around.  They love to blame patients for the illnesses they have, scold them for non-compliance, no matter how impossible the demands of compliance are, and dominate every aspect of the patient's life.  They also filter all information about dialysis through the demands of a political ideology which says that everything will be fine if you just obey what the medical profession says -- which is an outright lie.

\\

Yes I agree.  Some nurses seem to be on some kind of power/ego trip.  I've had a few winners.  Sometimes it's comical, I have to laugh when I see them bully patients because I think to myself how much your life must suck if you have to stoop to bullying sick people to get your rocks off. 

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Slywalker

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 05:49:28 AM »

unfortunately the transplant coordinator you have to coddle.

I respectfullyl disagree with that statement.  Why should I have to "coddle" anybody?  I only ask that the coordinator be respectfull when talking to me and that they give me information in a timely manner.  I don't think that is too much to ask of a professional in any field - including the health care field. 

Sandyb
brenda

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 06:01:03 AM »

Don't you know Dr's think they are God and nurses are next to god. Only problem with that is they forget they are only public employees and I'm the public.   :twocents;

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Razman

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »

You've got that right Brenda !   Most of them  think that they are god and they don't have to explain anything to you !  If you were a customer in the business world you would be boss but they think that they are!  Thats why I like the  button that Epoman made.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »

unfortunately the transplant coordinator you have to coddle. the rest of them forget it. over the years i've "fired" more than my share of nurses. you don't come into my hospital room or my children's and think you own the place, i do. if there's an attack nurse/receptionist at a doctors office, i find another doctor, because the doctor probably has the same attitude.  i'm lucky the nurse at the dialysis center is an angel. i have a few issues with the charge nurse, i think she's a terrible administrator,  but have solved that too, i go to the center director if problems aren't solved.

I admire you! I have no guts and am afraid of saying anything to my doctors or medical staff. I get embarrassed if my husband says anything to the doctor too! How sad! It's hard for me to change after being a "wall flower" for 30 years!   :-[

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »