I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 07:04:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Does anyone here take KEPPRA?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone here take KEPPRA?  (Read 3455 times)
karen547

« on: September 05, 2007, 06:03:09 AM »

I was just wondering if anybody has problems with seizures ? I don't have epilepsy but sometimes on dialysis I get seizures or at least thats what the clinic says happens, but now since I've been on IHD I think it could just be my drop in blood pressure ? Well any replies would be great! THANKS
Roxy

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:08:44 PM »

I didn't have seizures when I was on dialysis, but what do you go through that the clinic labels it a "seizure"?
karen547

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 04:57:24 PM »

I will start shaking and lose consciousness, and i get veryyyyyyy hot and it's scary shit
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 06:12:10 PM »

you should see a neurologist. there is no one at the dialysis center qualified to diagnosis seizures. anyone can have a seizure. having more than one seizure is considered epilepsy and needs to be confirmed by an eeg. there are over 100 different types of seizures. seizures have sets and sub sets and many many causes. find out for sure. keppra is a seizure medication.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 06:19:10 PM »

That don't sound like a seizure to me, it sounds like a drop in blood pressure. However I would see a neurologist and let him make that decision.

I have seizures due to very high uncontrollable blood pressure when I am first going through kidney failure.. it's how I know my kidneys were failing at first when my Lupus was active, and its how I found out my last transplant was failing. I haven't had one since Jan 2004, like I said, it's only due to high uncontrolled blood pressure. Good luck.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Roxy

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 07:00:06 PM »

Angela and thegrammalady are right, you should see a neurologist. The last thing you want to be doing is taking a medication you don't need or missing a medication or something that might help you that you do need.
karen547

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 05:26:46 AM »

I did have an EEG and because of the fact that I have a shunt , I have a focus on the right side of my brain. I will be seeing a neurologist in October as well, but the EEG didn't show signs of epilepsy.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »

I have seizures due to very high uncontrollable blood pressure when I am first going through kidney failure..

A question for Angela...Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I was wondering what your highest blood pressure was that you can remember. About a month ago, mine was 207/117 after taking some decongestant (I know that was bad, but I couldn't take the stuffiness anymore!). The only affect I felt was a little shakiness. When I told my doc, he didn't seem all that concerned!
Now I'm afraid I may start having seizures!

:-\

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 11:46:07 AM »

I did have an EEG and because of the fact that I have a shunt , I have a focus on the right side of my brain. I will be seeing a neurologist in October as well, but the EEG didn't show signs of epilepsy.

if you have had a seizure the eeg should show something. who prescribed the keppra. and if the eeg was negative why did they think the keppra was necessary. medications that control seizures are sometimes prescribed for other reasons.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 06:35:55 AM »

I was just wondering if anybody has problems with seizures ? I don't have epilepsy but sometimes on dialysis I get seizures or at least thats what the clinic says happens, but now since I've been on IHD I think it could just be my drop in blood pressure ? Well any replies would be great! THANKS

I have seen crashing blood pressure at dialysis cause a seizure (stiff as a board, hands quivering, jaw locked, tongue bitten) in Rolando. He, also, does not have epilepsy. His neurologist said that a person has to be predisposed to seizures for such an event to cause a seizure.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »