I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  IV Iron.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IV Iron.  (Read 2032 times)
fluffy

Fluff!

« on: August 10, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

Anyone else on hemo get iv Iron? cause the just started me on it. The thing is i've noticed a drop in energy which was kinda weird cause i was just starting to feel better. Does anyone else here get iron? and what are its side effects on you?
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 06:29:16 PM »

Hubby gets IV iron once a month. He does home hemo nocturnal so we do it during one of his treatments. takes about 1/2 hr for it to run in.  Haven't noticed any side effects.  He has ben taking in for abt 6 years but just started home hemo in Oct. 06.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »

Hey Fluffy I do home hemo and have iron through the machine every 3 weeks and haven't noticed any side effects been doing that for 5 months .

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
sophiasmom

In center hemo for almost 10 years

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 07:36:15 PM »

Hi Fluff,

I have been receiving IV iron on hemo for almost 10 years depending on my hematocrit or hemoglobin blood counts.
Never had any side effects.  Iron should make you feel stronger eventually.  (unless you are allergic)
You said you just started feeling better, how long have you been on dialysis?  I ask because if you have only been on a short time
you may have gained real body weight as you started to feel better and they may be trying to remove fluid that is not there.
This happens a lot to new patients they start dialysis, start feeling better, gain weight, and feel miserable because the staff doesn't realize
that you may have gained real body weight.  Your dry weight usually needs to be adjusted within the first few months from the time you first had dialysis
in the hospital or whatever.  First dialysis you were probably wearing no shoes just a johnny and feeling ill.  Now with dialysis you're fully clothed, feeling better and eating better.
feeling weak is a symptom that you may be too dry (removing too much fluid).  Are your blood pressures low or pulse very high near the end of your treatments? Also signs of dehydration.
Of course there is cramps and nausea, vomiting, headaches as well, which happen to people way too often as far as I am concerned.  Dialysis should not leave you feeling miserable.

Chris     :popcorn;
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 05:06:31 PM »

My blood pressure is kinda low but im getting used to it. right now the doctors have me on hemo and pd at the same time. i still feel kinda low, maybe im just getting a summer cold or something :P
brenda

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:24:49 PM »

Hey Fluffy, I've been a home hemo patient for 14 years, have had IV Iron for probably about 10 years. No real side effects, but I also have very low blood pressures which make me feel drug out some times. Might just be the pressures as opposed to the iron.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
angellady07

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »

I'm not yet on hemo although, soon will be. I wish I could be more helpful. I recently started IV iron infusions. I too noticed that my energy level was down. I don't know how much of it was from the infusion. It may just be the toxins in my body. I notice the first couple of days after the infusion aches in my legs.
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:09:02 PM »

hm, you guys dont seem to have many side effects. i just thought it was weird cause i strted to feel pretty messed up the very day they started me on the iron.  too many meds :P thanx to everyone who replied tho   :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »