I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:22:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Is anyone awke? BIG question needs answers ASAP!!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is anyone awke? BIG question needs answers ASAP!!!!!  (Read 4344 times)
poohkari

Wade and I.

« on: August 02, 2007, 11:12:25 PM »

Earlier this evening, Wade's portacath seemed to fall out (not all the way, but about 4 inches) = He felt fine, didnt notice, and pushed it back in, and taped it up. The two stitches have broken loose. There is some small crusted blood around the opening, and there was some blood/pus on his bandage.

What should we do?

It's 2 AM currently, and if we go to the ER, he's going to have to wait HOURS. He has dialysis tomorrow, and there is a nurse on staff at his clinic he can call at 6 AM, when they open. If he goes that route, he can get right in to the hospital. We're unsure what to do - hELP!

Thanks,
Kari

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 11:21:40 PM »

We're off to the ER - better safe than sorry, right?

Let's hope he just needs a new stitch or two ... we're supposed to begin NxStage training Monday!

Keep you all posted when we get back.

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 11:26:02 PM »

Hope everything is alright, let us know how you go

Thinkin of Ya's

Take Care

Tamara xxx ooo   :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 12:43:27 AM »

Its better to be safe than sorry. I hope everything turns out fine.   :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 02:56:26 AM »

Thanks guys!

We just got back - its a new record - less than 4 hours in the ER!  :clap; Wade just needed a few new stitches, but they had to do an xray to make sure that when he pushed it back in, he pushed it in right! He did, and now it's time to get some sleeeeeeeeep!!!

tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 03:15:18 AM »

:clap;

Great to hear !

aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 03:15:39 AM »

Tell them about this in the dialysis unit right way even though you went to the ER. The catheter fell out 4" and you guys pushed it back in. ER confirmed it was in the right position. Cool. BUT INFECTION IS THE BIG ISSUE!!! The unit will probably contact your nephrologist and he/she may want some antibiotic administered as a precaution.

Alene

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 03:52:38 AM »

I agree, let the center know what happened with the cath, heck I would even call his Neph this morning.  Just to be safe.

Did the ER take his blood/cultures to check for infection?  Just be extra careful with it....they can get infected very easily.  Rob had loads of infections with his and had to have 6 catheters put in.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! 

ps, yeah on the record breaking trip to the ER!!!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 04:12:05 AM »

Hope things are ok.  :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »

Good job Wade  :thumbup;  Glad things turned out allright but as the others said, let them know cuz the last thing he wants is an infection.  Thank you so much for letting us know poohkari, he is lucky to have you ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »

:clap; hope everything stays ok.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
keefer51

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 01:21:22 PM »

When i was on dialysis the first time a kind of funny thing happened. My ex and I were having our son. I remember i was in a thrift store when she called there to tell me it was time to GO! We lived about an hour from her mom so i called to tell her where we were going and see if she could come and watch our daughter who was six at the time. When we got to the hospital my ex was put in one of those beds for having a baby. The bottom pulls away. So i am looking out the hallway for my mother in law in the meantime my daughter thinks the whole thing is cool. In a flash my daughter comes out and says "Nicky's being born!" I look at her like any father would and say "I know honey."  Then i heard my ex give out a scream. I get the doc. who of course says i am crazy. With my hand on his arm i lead him in the room. Our son's head was half way out! So here i am trying to keep my daughter in front of me the doc says put your wifes leg on your shoulder. I do and she bears down and plop out comes our son and my chest catheter!! I did however see one of the most beautiful sites i ever saw. They put our son under the heater or as my daughter called it "The French fryer" As he lay there crying his sister touched his hand with a tear on her cheek. As fate would have it we were in the same hospital as my dialysis unit so i just went to the ninth floor got a new catheter in and went down and held my son.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
st789

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 02:28:20 PM »

Keefer, that story would beat any ERs' episodes.  Thanks for sharing my friend.
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 02:31:45 PM »

Amazing story!

Things are good - Wade has been getting some antibiotics each week during dialysis anyway, so it all worked out and wasn't a big deal. Poor Wade though, after being up all night and then going to dialysis, the guy next to him when he was on the machine today died! Ugh, sometimes its just so much to deal with....

tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 08:34:48 PM »

Amazing story!

Things are good - Wade has been getting some antibiotics each week during dialysis anyway, so it all worked out and wasn't a big deal. Poor Wade though, after being up all night and then going to dialysis, the guy next to him when he was on the machine today died! Ugh, sometimes its just so much to deal with....

While I was in clinic doing dialysis and it was only for three months, I had two people die next to me :(

It actually brings some of the reality of what can happen to us right in front of our eyes, the first one died when it was only my second treatment, that one was extremely hard.

But hey I'm still here, you just gotta keep on keepin on and fighting everything that get's thrown at us.

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 04:19:29 AM »

Please let Wade know that our caring thoughts and prayers are with him.  Glad to hear it is working out.  Keep strong!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »