I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:21:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Iron infusions - icky taste in mouth...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron infusions - icky taste in mouth...  (Read 2227 times)
mariannas

« on: August 01, 2007, 02:43:37 PM »

I've been having to get iron infusions and I haven't had a problem with them except the lingering rusty nail taste I get in my mouth for about 2 days after the treatment.  Is there ANYTHING that gets rid of the taste?  Oh my goodness, it's unbearable and makes everything I eat taste like metal!  >:(

I know it's the least of my renal woes, but sometimes it's the small annoyances that make me nuts.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 08:17:25 PM »

It's sort of a good news/bad news thing here - it will likely get better when you actually start dialysis.  It's partly a result of the high toxin levels you have now as your kidney function decreases.  I don't remember mine getting worse with the iron infusions, but then I never thought to track which days it was worse.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:50:32 AM »

Cant really suggest anything except maybe have something minty ? Not sure its the iron thats doing it , not a side effect ive ever had , maybe someone else has ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »

Ew. I remember that. It'll go away after a couple of days, but it is NASTY til then!! Do try peppermints. I just kept drinking a lot of water (I"m a PD patient, so I can do that!), chewing gum, very highly flavored gum might help. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »