I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:21:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Cordyceps
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cordyceps  (Read 2440 times)
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« on: August 17, 2007, 07:28:23 PM »

In traditional as well as modern Chinese medicine they give patients Cordyceps -- the fungus of a certain type of worm -- as a treatment to nourish the kidneys, prevent or slow renal failure, and lengthen the lifespan of transplanted kidneys.  It has actuallly been scientifically demonstrated to be effective and proof of its effecacy has been published in peer-reviewed, respectable scientific journals.  I tried some recently, but I found that it partially blocked the absorbtion of the cyclosporine dose I was taking, so I quickly stopped taking it.  I was wondering if anyone else, perhaps with a different immunosuppressive drug regimen, has tried Cordyceps?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:55:26 PM »

Never heard of them.... but I wouldn't tr anything without discussing this with my doctor first.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »

The problem is that you will never find a doctor in the Western world who has ever heard of Cordyceps treatment, and their scientific arrogance makes them profoundly disinterested in anything they weren't taught about in medical school.  But the fact is that if Cordyceps is prolonging the life of transplanted kidneys by 20 to 40% in China, I don't want to be cheated of that benefit siimply because the medical system within which I live is too stupid to know anything about it. 

I assume that if Cordyceps interferes with the absorbtion of cyclosporine, then in China they must either increase the cyclosporine dose when they give Cordyceps or they must use a cyclosporine substitute. I am only assuming that it interferes with cyclosporine, since I was careful to experiment with taking Cordyceps only shortly before my regular blood test to see what influence it might have, and the result indicated low cyclosporine levels.  But of course these low levels could have been coincidentally caused by other factors as well.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 08:09:22 PM »

Very true... If I found soomething that works elsewhere, I would look at the research and if it leads me int he direction I want and believe it to be true, I may have done the same as you and try them.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »