I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 09:39:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Sign up to be a donor
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sign up to be a donor  (Read 1942 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 12, 2007, 10:10:29 AM »

This Is Lancashire Network
9:57am today
By Jane Lavender

AS an aspiring young actor, David Greenhalgh was devastated to be told his kidneys were failing.

That was 17 years ago, and Mr Greenhalgh, who is now a Conserative councillor in Bromley Cross, is still receiving three four-hour sessions of dialysis each week while he waits for a new kidney.

Since he was diagnosed with kidney failure, he has received two transplants, one which failed immediately and a second which lasted for six years.

Cllr Greenhalgh, aged 39, is waiting for a third transplant and is appealing for as many Bolton people as possible to sign up to the Organ Donor Register.

He joined health bosses and fellow patients in Victoria Square, Bolton, this week when a campaign bus visited the town to mark National Transplant week.

Cllr Greenhalgh said: "I would really encourage people to sign up because it's one of those things people don't think about until they're affected by it themselves.

"They should think about how they would react if it was one of their loved ones who was waiting for a transplant.

"People should also make sure they let their families know of their decision, because ultimately a relative can override a decision made by a donor."

Cllr Greenhalgh first became ill during a theatre run in London's West End. He was feeling rundown. He visited his GP and was immediately admitted to Hope Hospital in Salford where tests revealed his kidneys were functioning at only 13 per cent.

For 18 months, he juggled his acting career in London with his dialysis, but it became too much and he returned home to Bolton.

He was given his first transplant at the age of 25, but it failed immediately.

However, he was given a second chance three years later, and this one lasted for six years.

Cllr Greenhalgh said: "People can live an active life while on dialysis, but it can be very restrictive with the treatment and food you can and can't eat.

"It was amazing when I had my transplant because I finally felt like I could get on with my normal life."

Now waiting for his third transplant, Cllr Greenhalgh is combining his role as a Conservative politician with raising awareness of the shortage of people on the Organ Donor Register.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/localnews/display.var.1538969.0.sign_up_to_be_a_donor.php

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:37:53 PM »

I wonder if he gave becoming a donor any thought before he was diagnosed.
George Jung

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »

It doesn't really sound like he did sluff but what difference does that make.  Before I was faced with my condition I wasn't real keen on being cut into pieces and passed around.  Having a different point of view now, I know different.  I don't think the majority of people think too much about what it means to be a donor until they are affected in some way, weather they are affected directly or know someone who is.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:35:35 PM »

He was only 22 at the time, sluff.  We all tend to think we're immortal at that age anyhow.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 04:18:38 AM »

It really doesn't matter at this point, I guess cuz like you say at 22 who would think it could happen to them.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »