I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:15:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  1 gram of ferratin to stop my hair falling out!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1 gram of ferratin to stop my hair falling out!!  (Read 2885 times)
Lucinda

Life is great!

« on: July 06, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »

Hi Guys,

I have tried to find this in a thread with no success.  I had a gram of ferratin yesterday because my hemoglobin had dropped to 72 - think in the States that is 7.2.  I have had transfusions before but any idea how long it will take for the iron to kick in?  My hair is falling out and they suggested a big dose of iron might help.  Just feel like I have a bad dose of the flu today so I am thinking that is just a reaction.  Any ideas?   
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 04:48:34 PM »

Aww Lucinda, sorry to hear your feeling a little under the weather, hope your feeling better soon.  As for your hair falling out, my hair has been thinning for the last couple of years (i hope it stops before i get the Homer Simpson look) DOH  :o  ;)   But i am sure once your body starts adjusting to all your going through, your hair will stop falling out,  mine is thin but i notice it doesnt fall out nearly as much as before.  (Thank God) :P  :bow;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Chicken Little

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 04:51:52 PM »

Well, I usually feel better in a couple days after an iron infusion.  It's never helped my hair loss though.  I have periods of time where my hair sheds a lot more than usual.  It usually lasts a 2-6 months, but then it stops.  Thankfully, I have lots of hair.   We've tried iron, birth control pills and rogaine with no change.  None of my doctors have been able to figure it out.  I hope the iron works for you.  
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 06:35:49 PM »

Lucinda,

I'm sorry you have had such  rough time, im not to sure what exactly is making you feel so crappy. In regards to the hair falling out, I've been told there is a few other  things that can cause it, such as certain medication (what r you taking?), high PTH, low iron and if your not eating enough, (hows ur albium level).

my hb was once 67, it took a couple of weeks to come back up.

hope your feeling better soon.

Amanda
xxoo
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 08:00:20 PM »

Whenever I had iron infusion I felt bad afterwards. I think the body needs time to metabolize the extra iron.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 08:37:36 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 03:54:11 PM »

Thanks everyone........my joints are killing me today but overall I feel better than I did yesterday.  I just didn't feel like this after the first infusion.  I think it has to do with the fact they gave me a whole gram.  Because it took them eight goes to get a cannula in again....don't let anyone ever try and get one in your foot...Ouch....they decided to load me up to carry me through until my dialysis starts.  Body is just adjusting I think so hopefully I will feel better in the next few days.  My neph is trying to hold off on a start date for dialysis because they have just been allowed more funds by the government here to have nocturnal training for eight weeks from 6 - midnight for those who have a demanding job.  I am just wondering though how anyone could possibly handle a whole day at work plus training for six hours after work and then front work again the next day.  I don't know what you all think, but I think that is a pretty tall order.  Anyhow, all things to look forward to.  Have a great weekend. xxxxxxxxx
Red from Canada

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 05:13:59 PM »

Hi Lucinda.  I too have had low hemoglobin and my Neph has me on 6 ferrous gluconate tablets a DAY plus a folic acid tablet once a day.  He says the Aranesp I take won't work unless the iron stays up.  So far, so good.  No hair loss as yet and the hemoglobin is back up to about 116.  I am on PD with a Baxter cycler and I love it!  Hopefully won't need Hemo for a while.
I hope you will be feeling much better soon.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »