I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:20:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Teen donates kidney to save dad
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Teen donates kidney to save dad  (Read 3234 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: June 24, 2007, 11:03:46 PM »

Teen donates kidney to save dad
By SHANTEE WOODARDS, Staff Writer

When Malcolm Randall learned he needed a kidney two years ago, he decided not to broadcast it.
He didn't hide his medical condition or the fact that he was receiving dialysis, but he didn't go around asking anyone to donate either. That is, until his daughter, La'shell, then 17, told him she would give him her kidney. He tried to discourage her and so did the doctors, but no one could stop her. In April, they underwent a successful surgery.
"Everyone knows you can't live on dialysis but for so long," said La'shell, now 19. "You can't have a normal life. There's a lot of stuff you're unable to do. So I told him I'd give him my kidney and he didn't believe me."

La'shell is one of roughly 20 people the American Red Cross will honor tomorrow for being hometown heroes.

She will receive the Youth Good Samaritan award. Each year, residents nominate individuals in their community they believe have gone above and beyond the call of duty. To qualify, recipients were required to live in Baltimore City or county, Anne Arundel, Carroll, Harford or Howard counties.

The categories include adult good samaritan, animal rescue, chairman's award and community outreach, among others. They will be honored with a breakfast at the Sheraton Inner Harbor.

"The American Red Cross is thrilled to honor these individuals who made such a difference in their local community," said event coordinator Danielle Tyler in a prepared statement. "Our volunteers and partners in the field are vital in helping us to serve those in need every day and whose dedication and commitment actually save lives."

The problems began for Mr. Randall of Annapolis, in 2004, when he suffered renal failure. He didn't want anyone to undergo surgery for him, so he figured he would stay on dialysis as long as he could and get on the transplant list. He knew the wait could be as long as five years, but that was a risk he was willing to take. "I felt like this was the end," Mr. Randall said. "I couldn't ask someone to donate a kidney; I couldn't. I felt that if they knew I needed a kidney and that's what they wanted to do, they would follow through."

In stepped La'shell. She told her father that he could have her kidney, but he told her that he didn't want her to do it. But she was persistent and started to see doctors, who also told her that the surgery wasn't wise. At the time, La'shell was experiencing joint pain and her doctors worried that she might have lupus. There were also concerns for her future. One person even told her that if she decided to have kids in the future, her pregnancy might be more difficult because she only had one kidney.

Later, lupus was ruled out and La'shell still wanted to proceed. She went through a year's worth of testing and the transplant was completed in April. The surgery was a success, but the recovery was quicker for Mr. Randall than it was for La'shell.

"The morning after, it was painful," La'shell said. "I felt like a tractor trailer hit me. My dad was up, eating and talking and I was down. "

Even though Mr. Randall's kidneys work fine, he recently contracted a blood infection that impacted his heart. He has been recovering in a Baltimore nursing home and expects to be there for about two weeks.

Still, he can't forget La'shell's kindness. It's not unusual for him to look at her and exclaim, "that's my kidney right there; that's my lifesaver!"

"I just feel like I owe her," Mr. Randall said. "I feel like I owe her my life. When I think about it, it brings tears to my eyes. I just can't imagine anyone being that giving. I really don't expect that out of the average person."

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2007/06_24-49/TOP

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:10:51 AM »

What a beautiful thing La'Shell did for her dad, she deserves that award (amongst everyone else that donates)  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 04:24:32 AM »

Another great Fathers day gift.  :2thumbsup;
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:38:40 AM »

We met a panel of kidney donors at a transplant support group meeting last month. 

I have always known that these are very special people but the reality of what these people and others like them did never hit home until I had a chance to sit and listen to them talk about their experiences and how much what they did helped the people they gave part of themselves to.

These people are truely inspired by a higher power to give the gift of themselves to someone else.

The people we listened to were all positive, inspired, happy, and I think blessed.  They all looked great!

I know I'm off topic slightly here but seeing those people really moved me.

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:37:37 AM »

What a selfless and kind thing for her to do, but am I the only one who sees something wrong with a 17 year old donating a kidney to her father?  Did it say anywhere how he got kidney failure?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:47:38 AM »

What a selfless and kind thing for her to do, but am I the only one who sees something wrong with a 17 year old donating a kidney to her father?  Did it say anywhere how he got kidney failure?

i was told my daughter (27) wouldn't be allowed to donate if she planned on having children in the future.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 11:23:29 AM »

The girl was actually 19 when she donated, still very young.

The transplant coordinators here at our hospital, and some of the donors at livingdonorsonline.org, have discussed the pregnancy issue. The consensus is that, as with any woman with one kidney, they should be monitored closely during their pregnancy. It is the same for a donor as for a recipient. This has changed from about 7 years ago when we were told that Jenna should never have children. Now it's just a matter of adjusting her meds. And the donors I know that were in their child bearing years were accepted to donate, knowing they planned to have children someday. But every transplant clinic has their own rules, there is no continuity for many issues like this.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 01:00:38 PM »

At 18 you are considered an adult and you are able to make "adult" decisions,  i would dare anyone to get in MY way if my mom had ever needed a kidney or any other part of me  :boxing; 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 08:55:10 AM »

Some hospitals won't let you donate at 18 years old.  I know our hospital won't let anyone donate under the age of 27!!!!  The reason being, they don't feel that people are mature enough yet.  I find that a big load of B/S.  But, I also got the feeling that once they talk to a donor they can get a better feel.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »

At 18 you are considered an adult and you are able to make "adult" decisions,  i would dare anyone to get in MY way if my mom had ever needed a kidney or any other part of me  :boxing; 

OK, I see now where she was 18/19 when the surgery actually happened.  I guess if a parent wants to accept a kidney from their teenaged child that's up to them, but I can see where a transplant center would be hesitant to allow it so young.  18 year olds aren't really "full" adults anyway. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »