I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:30:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Retired Boca Raton veterinarian receives kidney from North Carolina woman
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Retired Boca Raton veterinarian receives kidney from North Carolina woman  (Read 2746 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: June 25, 2007, 08:53:33 AM »

Retired Boca Raton veterinarian receives kidney from North Carolina woman

Retired veterinarian from Boca Raton receives vital organ from a new friend

By Tina Shah
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted June 25 2007

Retired Boca Raton veterinarian Sam Leder and Mollie Kinsey, a North Carolina mother of two, were strangers until last fall. Since then, the 69-year-old South Floridian and 32-year-old Cashiers, N.C., native have become fast friends.

The reason: Kinsey gave Leder something for which he had been waiting about a year: a kidney.

LocalLinks
"This is not like giving a pint of blood, not even like bone marrow," said Leder's wife, Rhonnie, when they met with Kinsey last week at the University of Miami's Jackson Memorial Medical Center, where the transplant was performed. "It is giving a part of yourself to someone else."

The pair said they hope their experience will encourage others to donate organs. From January to March 2007, there were 6,797 organ transplants performed in the United States and 503 in Florida. But organ transplant experts say there is a great need for more donors to come forward.

According to the United Network for Organ Sharing, which oversees the list, 96,801 Americansarewaiting for an organ transplant, 72,184 for a kidney. In Florida, the kidney transplant list includes 2,731 people, followed by those waiting for liver and lung transplants – 430 and 124, respectively.

Experts say it can take as long as three years for a recipient to find a kidney match, which is based on blood and tissue type.

The first hint that Leder needed a kidney transplant came in June 2005, when he and his wife, Rhonnie, were celebrating their son's 30th birthday in Cashiers, where they have had a summer home for the past 30 years. Leder was feeling unusually tired, but doctors could not pinpoint the reason. After an intestinal surgery failed in July 2005, complications developed. A month later, Leder's kidneys failed.

No one in Leder's family had an O positive blood type, the appropriate match for Sam. So Rhonnie Leder called community organizations, agencies and even sent New Year's greeting cards to several dozen people asking for help. No one came forward.

"I just didn't know where to turn to find a kidney for him," Rhonnie Leder said.

When Rhonnie Leder called the local Cashiers newspaper, Crossroads Chronicle, an employee suggested writing a letter to the editor. Kinsey was on the road with her husband when she read the letter.

"It just laid on my heart," Kinsey said about the letter. She called the Leders. She turned out to be a match.

From that day until the seven-hour surgery was performed on June 13, Kinsey was questioned about her family history and health; took tests, including ultrasounds, PAP smears and full body physicals; and was counseled on the risks of being a donor and how to take care of herself after the surgery.

After Kinsey was approved and the surgery was scheduled, Kinsey and her family flew to Florida. As Kinsey prepared at the hospital, she said she was "at ease, at peace."

"I just wanted someone to come and tell me Sam is better," Kinsey said.

After the kidney transplant, Leder said he felt rejuvenated and put up his two thumbs to convey that to his family.

Leder was released from the hospital on June 20, and he is not taking any pain medication. He is glad he doesn't have to have any more large dialysis needles pushed through his left arm and can't wait to eat a sweet potato from Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach. Patients on dialysis have a diet restricted to foods low in sodium, potassium and phosphorus.

Kinsey has minor abdominal pain and will be fully recovered in about six weeks doctors say.

"I want to inspire others to know that because of the technology today and the doctors' help, you can survive on one kidney," she saidLeder cannot leave town for about three months. But come September, he plans to go to Cashiers and celebrate with Mollie and her family.

Leder's new life will keep him busy. He works as a real estate agent and shoots photos for a hobby. He also has a new job.

"I have a full-time job of taking care of my kidney, who I call Ms. Mollie," he said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-flhlporgans25nbjun25,0,622489.story?coll=sfla-news-sfla

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 02:57:32 PM »

You know, it really scares me when i see those statistics of people waiting and so forth, the amount of people waiting for a donor seems to get larger everytime i see it.  ???  :urcrazy; 

But on a good note,  :wine; here is too the donor, recipient and most importantly Ms. Mollie, may she live a long and happy life in her "new home" :)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »