I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 05:22:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Here I am
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here I am  (Read 3667 times)
KT0930
Elite Member

« on: June 26, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »

Hi there, everyone. My name is Katie and I live in metro Atlanta. I am 32 years old, female, mother of one son, married (for a second time) for just about 9 months, and trying to get my third kidney transplant.

My kidney failure started when I was less than a year old and got an e. coli infection. At age 6 I went on peritoneal dialysis (PD), and just before my eighth birthday, I received a kidney from my mother. 26 years later, she's doing great and in better health than most women her age (playing 18 holes of golf at least once a week when the weather allows it). That kidney lasted nearly 20 through adolescence, college, and a pregnancy.

Shortly after the pregnancy, my creatinine started going up, and about three years later, in 2002, I received another kidney, this time from my father. He also, is doing wonderfully. He's 70 years old and plays 18 holes of golf at least twice a week. Unfortunately, that kidney has not lasted nearly as long (as most second transplants do not). On October 6, 2006, I was told I needed dialysis again. I remember the date because I had just returned home from my honeymoon in Jamaica two days before....one last hoorah, it would seem.

Thankfully, my husband is incredible and understands that when I don't have the energy most people would or just don't feel up to doing something, it's usually because of the dialysis. However, he doesn't let me use it as a crutch. He pushes me to do what he knows I can, goes with me to as many doctor's appointments as he can, and takes over as much as he can at home so I'm not overwhelmed.

So, here we are. I'm currently doing CAPD and am on the waiting list in Georgia for a transplant. We went through the donor selection process, and although I had four people willing to donate, none of them matched. The surgeon told me that due to my previous transplants and pregnancy, I have antibodies to the majority (like 93%) of the population, so I'm going to be a difficult match, at best. On the bright side, I am a relatively "healthy" ESRD patient. I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure, I'm not overweight, and I am still able to work full-time.

Everyday I thank God that I have kidney problems and nothing is wrong with any other major organs. They don't have dialysis for hearts!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »

:waving; Hi Katie,
Welcome to ihatedialysis.com! You sure have been through a lot but sounds like you have a great attitude despite the challenges of kidney failure! And your hubby sounds wonderful too!
I hope you can find a donor. There's lots of info here about high PRA patients, and the remedies available to them. We can learn a lot from you too, I am sure.
Take care,
Karol

okarol/moderator

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:26:19 PM »

Hello and  :welcomesign;

It's not easy being green.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:22:39 PM »

Hi Katie, Welcome to ihatedialysis.com.  So glad you have found us.  We have alot of great info here on just about anything you can think of (but i am pretty sure you know most of it already) ;)  Please do share some of your experiences while coping with this disease.  We have become one great big family here so i'd like to add "Welcome to the Family" as well  :cuddle;  Looking forward to hearing more from you  :2thumbsup;

Goofynina/Admin.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 01:47:48 PM »

:welcomesign;

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:23:31 PM »

Welcome to IHD Katie,

What a great attitude after a lifelong ordeal like that. Your parents are great and I hope them to have many more wonderful years of golf together.

You are an inspiration to all who are new to ESRD. After reading your post I found myself wanting to hear more, so feel free to post often and enjoy all IHD has to offer.

Also congratulations on your marriage, seems like a great match.

Thank you for taking an interest in ihatedialysis.com

Sluff/ Admin
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 03:00:27 PM »

:welcomesign; Glad you found this site.

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »

great to have you aboard. :welcomesign; :welcomesign;  Boxman55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
keefer51

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 07:33:21 PM »

Welcome Katie. I am waiting for my second transplant. I am on hemo now for three years. Hope you enjoy this site.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 08:06:11 PM »

Welcome Katie, its great youhave a very understanding husband!

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 08:24:29 PM »

Welcome.  :grouphug;

Your husband seems like a lucky catch, and I'm happy you two found each other.

I am on my second transplant, it was a perfect match cadaver. I am thankful everyday I had 0% antibodies, after 1 transplant and 2 pregnancies and lots of blood transfusions. Thank you god!

Anyways, I look forward to chatting with you! I also hope to hear of your next transplant that I hope you will receive soon.

Welcome!!!

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 01:10:05 AM »

Welcome Katie, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 02:07:39 AM »

Welcome to our community!  Thank you for sharing so openly with us.  We are so glad that you have decided to join us.  I think that you have lots to offer us, just as I know we have lots to offer you.  One thing we can offer is a place where people understand what you are going through, so when you need to vent, you just go right ahead!
I really appreciate your spirit and am looking forward to hearing lots more from you.  We salute your parents and your husband.  What a tremendous network of support you already have!  And now you have added the IHD family (and we are pretty hard to get rid of).  Please take advantage of all our site has to offer.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
st789

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 03:26:48 AM »

Welcome, sound like u have wonderful parents.

Having supports around u like that for us always helps.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 04:43:44 AM »

Good morning everyone. Thanks for all the welcomes! I'm really glad I found this site. Even though I've been through this twice before, it's been different each time. Ok, the first time I was really too young to remember anything, but in '02 I was on hemo and this time is PD, and last time I had a family member who was able AND willing to donate. This time I only have one willing. Let me tell ya, being on the list is a whole different ballgame. I always thought of dialysis as a temporary fix, so it was kind of a shock (and not a pleasant one) when I had to start thinking of it as a long-term thing...in fact I'm still having trouble with that. I keep thinking "I'm going to get THE CALL anyday now" However, statistics are against me there.

Okay, now I'm getting myself depressed, and that's a subject for a rant anyway. This is just to say thanks for making me feel welcome, and I'll try to answer as many questions as I can, though I've learned from having a very smart 8 year old in the house that if I don't absolutely know the answer, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut!  :-X Hopefully you all can help me with some questions, too.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 04:52:05 AM »

Good morning, and welcome!! You're definitely one of our pros here!!!  Enjoy yourself here, we do, while learning, as well! It IS nice to
come and talk to others who are not gonna not know what to say. We're going through the same things, we know what it's like.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 06:22:02 AM »

Welcome to our community!

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
carolyn77531

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 12:11:12 PM »

YOU are stronger than you realize.
Wiser than you know.
What was once your life is now your legend.........
Earlinda

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »

It sounds like you have been through a lot in your life time.  Welcome to the site. I am sure with your experiences you have a lot to share with all of us.

kitkatz,moderator
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:13:01 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »