I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:25:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  When do immunosuppressants finally stabilize?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When do immunosuppressants finally stabilize?  (Read 3183 times)
Roxy

« on: September 21, 2007, 04:06:05 PM »

OK, I'm curious how long it took people for their immunosuppressants to stabilize? I know I'm only four months post transplant, but the transplant team told me it should start stabilizing. It's not happening. My cyclosporin level in my blood is suppose to be 180 and if it's not we either raise the medication or lower it to get the level going in the right direction. So with me, I will have three weeks where we are constantly increasing the dosage of pills, yet the level of cyclo. in my blood keeps going lower (like right now it's around 84). Then, after a few weeks of whatever dose and my cyclo. finally being around the correct level in my blood, it will jump to around 300 in my blood, and then take a few weeks to come down after reducing it. It's just constantly up and down. Now I'm completely confused. I don't have any major changes in my diet. I know changes in my activity level will affect how quickly the medication is metabolized, but I've only had minor changes in both. The part that worries me, is that when it goes to the extreme highs, I worry about cyclosporin toxicity, and when it goes extremely low of course I worry bout rejection. I was wondering if anybody on here had any ideas or experienced anything similar???
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 06:53:51 PM »

I am not on cyclosprorin this time around but the meds I am on are stabalized already, and have been for months. I am on Prograf and Rapamune.

I was on cyclosporin for my first transplant and I don't remember having that problem, mine was pretty steady after the first few months.

Hope they figure it out.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Jill D.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 06:20:26 PM »

I am nine months post-transplant, and it's only been in the last two months that I really feel things are at an even keel - I feel really good. I'm on prednisone, cellcept and prograf - could they switch you?

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »

Are you taking your pills the same way everyday? Empty stomache or full? This can affect levels. I hope you stabilize soon.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 11:42:33 AM »

Is it possible that you have gastroparesis, which causes slow and unpredictable rates of gastric emptying, so your cyclosporine levels will always be irregular?  Many patients who have suffered nerve damage from spending a long time on dialysis have this problem and they tend not to show any peak in their cyclosporine levels after transplant.
Roxy

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 09:04:40 PM »

Thank you all for your replies.

Jill D. - I'm on a non steroid protocol with just Cyclosporin and Cellcept and I know there is probably something else they could have me on but I don't think they're ever really willing to switch meds until I'm a lot further along...guess I'll just have to wait and see * twiddling thumbs*

Romona- Yes, I always have to eat something before I take my pills and the cyclosporin level is taken after fasting and twelve hours after my previous dose so they test is always taken on an empty stomach and with no additional pills in my system or anything.

Stauffenberg- Luckily I wasn't on dialysis for very long, but that is good information to know regardless.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I just did more labs today so hopefully it will get somewhere back to normal.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 02:04:27 PM »

Is it possible that you have gastroparesis, which causes slow and unpredictable rates of gastric emptying, so your cyclosporine levels will always be irregular?  Many patients who have suffered nerve damage from spending a long time on dialysis have this problem and they tend not to show any peak in their cyclosporine levels after transplant.

Gastroparesis is also a common complication for diabetics. I've got that problem. It reeks havoc with my blood sugars!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 06:13:30 PM »

Roxy, i was trying to think when I finally stablized. I think it took awhile. I remember having to get a new script faxed because my insurance wouldn't cover my prograf because it had gotten low and my dose was increased, so I refilled before I was supposed to. So maybe something similiar is happening to you and you just need a little more time.
keefer51

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 07:35:17 AM »

When i had my transplant it didn't take long for the cyclo. to stabilize. After a couple years however they changed it to celcept. I think if i remember correctly it took around three months.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »