I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:30:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Inverness, FL... crummy unit
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inverness, FL... crummy unit  (Read 4886 times)
LifeOnHold

« on: August 09, 2005, 06:41:46 AM »

I used to visit my parents in Dunnellon, Florida.  I was sent to a dialysis unit in Inverness, Florida... this place was the PITS!  Between the techs who were clueless and the lack of ANY doctors on the premises, this place had me worried from the start.

Other things I witnessed which clinched my decision to never go there again: 

Staff did not know what a pressure bandage was-- they just slapped band-aids over my sites and were bewildered as to why my clots popped off and I got blood all over their floor.  (The staff had never had to use a pressure bandage since all of their patients had catheters.)

Almost all of the patients had neck catheters... with the inevitable high death rate.  The fourteen patients from my 1999 visit had been replaced by fourteen new patients-- a 100% 'turnover'!  Not a place I wanted to be!

I witnessed a catheter hook-up taking place next to an open door that led out to the courtyard... where the trash cans were kept... and there were FLIES coming through that door and right into the unit!

I started passing out during my treatment and my tech had NO idea of what to do-- his cries of "What do I do? What do I do?"  intensified the anxiety I already felt about passing out!

My treatment sheet clearly stated that I was to have 16-gauge needles, and yet I was cannulated with 15-gauge needles, which hurt like HELL!  I was later informed that '15-gauge is the only size needle we have here.'

My dialysis schedule is Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday, yet a mere three days before my arrival, the Inverness unit cut back its hours and I had to dialyze on Monday-Wednesday-Friday.  The short notice made it impossible to dialyze anywhere else, and also meant that since we returned to Massachusetts on a Saturday, I had to go from Friday to Tuesday with no dialysis.  I had severe shortness of breath and a large fluid gain, making that Tuesday's treatment really rough.

No visitors were allowed during treatment-- after what I saw there, that was no surprise!

Because this was the only unit in the area that would accept transient (traveling) dialysis patients, I had to quit visiting my mother.  I figure that giving up vacations in Florida was a better choice than subjecting myself to dialysis at such a poorly-run clinic.

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 02:23:56 PM »

I had a terrible experiance just like this when I went with my wife to visit her mother in Oklahoma. I swore I would never go back. It was the most filthy place I had every seen. For example all the needles were OUT of the sterile packages and just in a bucket, also I asked for a pillow and they grabbed one from another patient who was a sleep, it was all sweaty. The floors looked like they hadn't been washed in weeks. Every chair had their own TV but I didn't even want to touch it was filthy even had blood stains.

This was in Miami, OK

It's been 8 years and I have not been back since.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 07:58:36 AM »

:bump;  I think this thread deserves revival since we have so many new people here.

LifeOnHold died almost a year ago but she was a wonderful assest to this group while she was here, and a big help to Epoman in getting this site going.  Part of her wonderful legacy is the humor she left here, but as you can see, her well informed critical eye will continue to give others incentive to use this place to pass along this kind of information which will save lives, and hopefully bring about change.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »

I have been to several dialysis units in the United States.  Mainly west coast areas and have found them to be clean and fairly friendly.  The two units I was really impressed with were in Reno, NV and in Washington state,   In Washington my pressure started dropping and they whisked oxygen on me pretty fast. The place was clean, clean clean! The staff was very friendly.
Nevada's unit was clean and had a view of Reno out of plate glass windows. Wow!  Very professional staff.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »

I have been to 4 clincs since while on hemo and thank goodness they were all clean and courteous  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 02:07:35 AM »

I have only been to one unit other than this one here, and that was last Christmas on holiday in Barbados, my home country.  It was very clean and professional, thank goodness.
I really appreciate seeing Life On Hold's post again. She pulled no punches.  I still miss her kind of humour.  What a time we would have been having with her here on this site these days!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 06:15:23 PM »

:bump;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 07:05:42 PM »

the only place i have been besides my home unit is to visit my family in corvallis, oregon. the center there is small, 12 chairs, and connected to the hospital. it is clean, bright and everything in good working order. because they have the hospital laundry, they have blankets and pillows. in my unit you must bring your own. they also have an ice machine. yum, love ice chips. most of the techs are nurses and very knowledgeable. i think i'm very lucky. the best part are the patients. extremely friendly. when i left this last time, several of them said they hoped to see me again at christmas.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »