I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 06:42:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Am I rejecting?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Am I rejecting?  (Read 2988 times)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« on: July 30, 2007, 03:17:32 PM »

I started feeling lousy throughout the day on Friday.  By mid morning I was wondering if I should leave work and go home.  I stayed but lunch time was spent in the car sleeping. 

By late afternoon I knew something was different but still wasn't sure if I was just tired or sick.  By that night I knew.  My body started to hurt and all I could think of was sleep.  Moving around in a chair and getting up even for a minute took too much energy to do very often. I was slighty dizzy alot of the time. The night was spent sleeping for a while, waking for a while, then sleeping some more. 

By Saturday things were definetly not right.  Every bone seemed to hurt and there was some major pain in one side that wouldn't go away.  At this point I started thinking about seeing a doc but didn't have the energy to go anywhere. 

Things didn't get any better and by Sunday my urine had turned orange.  At that point I was wondering about rejection and decided to go regardless of how I felt.

When I got there I was told both of the doctors working urgent care were out to lunch and wouldn't be back for 90 minutes.  They let them both go at the same time?  I waited. The doc ordered labs which came back within a half hour after the draw.

Surprise, surprise...the labs all looked great.  My creatnine which had been run 4 days previously in a routine test had actually dropped a tenth of a point.  My white blood cell count was way up though indicating I was fighting an infection, probably viral according to the doc.

I had gotten dehydrated over a few days of feeling bad and they offered some IV hydration.  I said no thanks and gulped down a water and a couple of diet cokes in the waiting room.  By the time I walked out of there I was feeling a little better already.

The moral of the story is that these are clearly classic signs of rejection.  Although it wasn't I shouldn't have waited to see the doc.  It should have been done a day sooner.  No transplant patient should fool with these symptoms and only a dummy (me) would.

Fast forward to today...I took the day off...I'm feeling much better but why push it?  Back to work tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 03:20:13 PM by livecam » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:50:46 PM »

Livecam these are classic signs of acute rejection.  You are far enough out that I don't think you have to worry about acute rejection.

Your signs will be a study climb in creatinine.  Every time you go in for labs your creatinine jumps.  Then they will have you come in every month.  They will prepare you for dialysis again.  It is a slow, slow process which is like pealing off each fingernail. 

Glad you just had the flu.  Hope you never reject.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »

Whew, dont scare me like that Livecam,  I am soooo glad you are feeling better, now take care of yourself dammit, or else  :boxing;  ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
st789

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 07:02:53 PM »

Glad to see u r ok. Livecam.  I am seeing my nephrologist every month even though I am 2 yrs. post. kidney transplant.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 07:32:35 PM »

Wow, Livecam, that had to be scary.
I am glad you are feeling better.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
coravh

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »

Whew! Glad to know that it wasn't rejection. Hopefully, there won't be a next time, but if there is, your kidney will be better off if you take the IV rehydration. The longer your kidney is stressed through infection and dehydration, the greater the strain put on it. Nobody hates IVs more than me (my veins are shot), but I would do it in a second, just to be safe.

Keep healthy!

Cora
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:48:11 PM »

Hey man I'm glad you had things checked out to be on the safe side. Glad things are good. :thumbup;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 08:26:07 PM »

:boxing;
Don't scare us like that, livecam!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 11:32:05 PM »

:boxing;  Hey Poster Boy, get to the hospital sooner next time   :banghead;

I am soooo glad it was just the flu. Look after yourself.   :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 05:08:26 AM »

Glad to hear it wasn't serious. As everyone else said, get thee to a doctor sooner next time, and don't scare us like that!!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 08:01:28 AM »

hey jeff just saw this thread now. Good to hear that all is okay now, and that you are feeling better.  :cuddle;

Amanda
xxoo
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 03:42:29 PM »

Livecam you sound just like me. Except I do not have a transplant.  I will call the ER help nurse and tell them all about the symptoms I have and know I should just go into the ER and get checked out. Then I whine at the nurse when she tells me to come on into the ER.

I am glad you feel better.  Take care.  Maybe Alaska did something to you?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »