I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant or Dialysis?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant or Dialysis?  (Read 10490 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 12:48:36 AM »

I never heard of this and would be interested in finding out more. 

Nocturnal Hemodialysis is the gold standard for people on dialysis.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 07:27:32 AM »

You're right Zach it is the gold standard. Hubby has been doing it for a year now on a fresenius 2008H machine and he really likesit. He sleeps during traetment had has all of his waking hours to do what he wants. Because of the long time hooked up it cleans potassium and phosporphus a lot better so you don't have much restrictions.  Makes life  awhole lot more "normal".

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 04:19:05 PM »

I never heard of this and would be interested in finding out more. 

Nocturnal Hemodialysis is the gold standard for people on dialysis.
 8)

Really? That's not good news for me in the future then.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
keefer51

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 06:53:32 AM »

I had a transplant in 92. It lasted about ten years. I have had kidney disease since i was born. I knew in my head that i would always have it. I was lucky though because it didn't fail { I say IT cause i was only born with one } until i was in my thirties. I have wrote about this in another thread. When i was faced with dialysis the first time i had a wife and two children. One was just a baby. My ex and her family and some of my friends told me i was crazy not to go on. " If you love us you will do this." Things took off. There was dialysis. I worked at the time and went to dialysis. My ex couldn't stand it. Other than her i had the support of everyone else. She found the whole thing a burdon on her and where she wanted to be with her job. My brother came into the picture and spoke of a transplant. The way my brother is and the people he knows the whole thing became a media event. Two fund raisers were done and around $30,000 was raised. We were in the paper and t.v. and even the radio. I remember seeing him right before they took him down to get his kidney out for me. I wasn't used to someone loving me that much. Afterwards there was the initial media attention then i was by myself. I was told the following: I was cured of my "disease" i would never have to worry about dialysis again. The transplant would last forever yes i was told forever. I believed them. I felt so much better after i woke up from the transplant. I was ready to live again. I had a new baby and my wife and daughter. We moved to another state a year after the transplant. She met a healthier man and divorced me. I wasn't even over the transplant. My mind couldn't fathom that. What about the "If you love us you'll do this crap?" At the time i made some decisions that I'm not sure were correct. Once i was separated she took me off the medical insurance. At that time around 93 or 94 my job couldn't insure me cause i was a high risk. I struggled for four years before i was able to get it again. I went on the antirejection meds again. My kidney lasted till 2003. I came back home to nothing. No more fund raisers. No more media. WTF? they lied to me man. I wasn't able to enjoy the gift of love my brother gave me. It was destroyed by greed and selfishness. I came home because family is better than nothing. I waited though when my kidney failed again. I did things i know i wouldn't be able to do. It was hard to face my brother. Now i am on dialysis again. The first time i had the catheter and went through seven of them. This time i went through six of them and finally agreed to a fistula. My old transplant coordinator told to take care of my new kidney. She said; "Keith you will not be able to handle dialysis again." Well i have. There is some reason i guess i am still alive. I have a woman in my life now who has been tested and is a match. No more promices. No more media. Just me.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »