I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Severe fisulta pain cannot dialyze
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Severe fisulta pain cannot dialyze  (Read 4177 times)
jo

« on: August 06, 2016, 01:12:47 PM »

My mom has been having severe pain in the fistula over the past one month or so and we had to stop treatments halfway because of that. The vascular surgeon treated the stenosis and perform angioplasty along with stenting 2 days ago. But, she still experiences the same pain today. The dialysis supervisor says that the pain is because of the new stent placed and the pain will subside after 2 or 3 treatments. Is this even true? What is the reason for the pain? I know that the needle can hit a nerve sometimes and cause pain occasionally during treatments. But, this pain starts halfway during every treatment. The doctors are not sure what is causing the pain. Please help me out. I am very depressed. Thank you.
AnnieB

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »

I had severe pain last time (Only my second treatment). When I talked to the doctor about it today, he said the needle might need to be repositioned; that the dialysis session itself should not hurt.
jo

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:11:06 PM »

I had severe pain last time (Only my second treatment). When I talked to the doctor about it today, he said the needle might need to be repositioned; that the dialysis session itself should not hurt.
Pain starts only halfway during the treatment. Did he say is it ok to reposition the needles halfway when pain occurs? Thanks.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:06:46 PM »

In my experience you can reposition needle anytime. Sometimes best to stop bloodpump first.

Good luck, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
jo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 11:22:45 AM »

In my experience you can reposition needle anytime. Sometimes best to stop bloodpump first.

Good luck, Cas
Thanks Cas. But I read somewhere that it is best to avoid repositioning needles and if you reposition the needles, you could only reposition the arterial needle and not the venous. How true is that?
justagirl2325

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 08:23:36 AM »

My husband also suffers from severe fistula pain sometimes too.  It's hit or miss and no one's ever been able to explain why or help.  He just has to deal they say.  Very frustrating for him.  It seems to be worse if he's done something strenuous with his arm the day of dialysis.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »

Good luck, Cas
Thanks Cas. But I read somewhere that it is best to avoid repositioning needles and if you reposition the needles, you could only reposition the arterial needle and not the venous. How true is that?

I've been searching on lots of sites kidneyschool etc, but so far no conclusive answer. One nurses site mentioned that : when repositioning the venous needle to use a syringe with saline so you can first check for clots, and to pull the needle slightly so not to cause damage to the fistula wall. I'll continue looking though

Luck and love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »

Good luck, Cas

I've been searching on lots of sites kidneyschool etc, but so far no conclusive answer. One nurses site mentioned that : when repositioning the venous needle to use a syringe with saline so you can first check for clots, and to pull the needle slightly so not to cause damage to the fistula wall. I'll continue looking though

Luck and love, Cas

In Belgaum the needles were able to rotate independently of the butterfly like holder.  That seemed to be a great idea so they could rotate the needle without changing the bandages.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
jo

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 09:13:03 PM »

Ok we finally figured out that the cause of the pain depends on how the cannulation is done. They had an experienced tech cannulate my mom today and she never felt any pain at all throughout the treatment. The clinic knows very well that most of their techs really suck at getting the needles in, but they wouldn't agree. Today, the NP was suggesting us to go back to PD and that way we don't have to worry about cannulation and stuff. We were upset at her suggestion when she tried to protect her clinic rather than protecting a human life. My mom's buttonholes are established and sticking the needles in is supposed to be easier. I have no idea why people struggle with it. We are very worried about who will cannulate her for tomorrow's treatment and my mom is very stressed out about it too. I am not sure if finding an other clinic would solve this problem. Any suggestions?
jo

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »

Also, just out of curiosity, is PD better than hemodialysis, especially for people with diabetes? What are the pros and cons?
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 04:08:47 AM »

Also, just out of curiosity, is PD better than hemodialysis, especially for people with diabetes? What are the pros and cons?

I;ve done both.  They both suck but hemo sucks worse.  There's no free lunch with dialysis.

No needles in PD.  I'm a very well controlled (no meds) Type 2 and doing PD hasn't affected my blood sugar significantly.  For most, it does require upping meds. It can easily be done at home without a care partner. The main problem with PD is that it is a short term fix.  After several years (times vary), the peritoneum no longer does its job and then you need to do hemo or transplant or throw in the towel.  Infection is always a potential issue, but is easily avoided with good technique and good hygiene.  Unless you like being poked or have no other choice, PD is a no brainer.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
jo

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 07:16:11 PM »

I;ve done both.  They both suck but hemo sucks worse.  There's no free lunch with dialysis.

No needles in PD.  I'm a very well controlled (no meds) Type 2 and doing PD hasn't affected my blood sugar significantly.  For most, it does require upping meds. It can easily be done at home without a care partner. The main problem with PD is that it is a short term fix.  After several years (times vary), the peritoneum no longer does its job and then you need to do hemo or transplant or throw in the towel.  Infection is always a potential issue, but is easily avoided with good technique and good hygiene.  Unless you like being poked or have no other choice, PD is a no brainer.
Thanks for the comparison.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »