I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:48:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  On behalf of my Darling husband
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: On behalf of my Darling husband  (Read 4491 times)
Joanniebop

« on: April 10, 2007, 03:16:28 AM »

I would like to introduce myself:  Joannie and my husband Chuck and also would  like to take this opportunity to say what a great help this board has been to us over the past few months.

And the story goes.....

Chuck had a kidney transplant almost five years ago , donated my his oldest daughter. Transplant needed due to diabetes.
He is blind due to diabetic retinopathy and has a few other problems; developed orthostatic hypotension after the transplant surgery and needs wheelchair if any walking is involved but is able to get around the house OK.

So, a few months ago it was determined that he is in rejection., hence the need for dialysis.

After researching online, I felt that PD would be the best way to go for us. Less wear and tear on the body and some freedom to travel. We ( should say I) love to cruise and as long as we would depart from a US port, having a cycler and supplies delivered to the port, does not seem to be a major problem. we don't go out much because of his condition so if we are able to continue with cruising, it will be a blessing.

The PD catheter was implanted last Monday . He just spent 12 days in the hospital because of his pressure problems, they kept him much longer than we expected. But, I should have known better because every time he goes into the hospital, they mess up his pressure meds and no matter how much I tell them that they must treat his standing pressure along with the sitting pressure they just don't get it! It's frustrating, but he is home now, thank God, and today we go back to the dialysis center for 6 hours of PD and training. I am hoping that by Monday we will be set up at home. Will have to go back and forth for 4 days of PD and training , I think.

I am sure I will have a bunch of questions as we get into the PD especially when he starts at home.
Thanks for everything.

Joannie and Chuck
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:53:41 AM »

Welcome Joannie & Chuck, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 04:44:10 AM »

Welcome to IHD Joannie and Chuck,

I am glad your husband has such an organized and wonderful wife, It seems that he has had much trouble due to the diabetes so my thoughts are with you. I'm diabetic also.

I'm also glad you found us, and happy to hear that IHD has made your life a little easier. IHD is an excellent resource tool, support system and a place to have a little fun.

Sluff/ Admin
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 06:20:03 AM »

Hello and  :welcomesign;

It's not easy being green.
nextnoel

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:53:29 AM »

Welcome to the IHD family! :welcomesign;

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Razman

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:34:16 AM »

Welcome to IHD and please keep us up to date on how things are going.   I trust that you will have many vacations trips and look forward to hearing about them.  :)
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:42 AM »

:welcomesign; i am also the pt's wife this site is awsome you'll meet some amaaaaaaaazing peeps!!!!!

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »

Welcome to our community!  What took you so long!  We have been here waiting for you! ;D  This is definitely the place to be for anyone with any connection whatsoever to this renal challenge.  There is lots to read here, but apart from the information, this has developed into a real caring and sharing family.  You can rely on the people here to be with you whatever you are going through.  And the wonderful thing is that here you find people who KNOW EXACTLY what you are going through, not just in theory.  So keep reading and above all, keep posting.  We need to know exactly how Chuck is doing.  And we want to know how you are doing too, because we are very aware of the demands that this puts on you as well.
We have a section specially for those who are caregivers or loved ones to renal patients.  But I am not restricting you to this section - the entire site is for you!   :grouphug;

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:56:56 PM »

Welcome! I'm sure you will have many questions once training starts!   :welcomesign;
We'll answer them, if able!
Joanniebop

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 03:44:29 PM »

Thank you all so much for your warm welcome!

I am not usually an emotional person but my eyes did tear up after reading all of your welcome posts.  It's such a good feeling to know that you are not alone when handling these challenging days ahead and knowing that you guys are there for me is such a comfort.

Chuck did great today on our first day of PD training. Of course I will do all the technical stuff, since he is blind, but he is the one that has to be on the darn machine.

Have a great evening and thanks again!

Joannie
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 05:32:53 PM »

Welcome to the site.  We have lots of information here.  Check out off-topic for news that has nothing to do with dialysis.  There is section on PD and everything that goes with it.  Sit a spell and read.

kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 09:09:14 PM »

Hi Joannie, Welcome to ihatedialysis.com.  You are a doll my friend.  The strength you have to do all you have done for your hubby amazes me.  I am sure he is very grateful for having you in his life.  (I thank God for him for having you in his life) :)  There is an abundance of information here regarding just about anything you can think of, please feel free to post any questions, comments and/or concerns of your own and if you have any problems finding something or you need help with anything in general, please dont hesitate to ask any one of us, we will be more than happy to help you with whatever it is you need.  Take Care and i hope to hear more from you.  Tell Chuck Hello from all of us and to have no fear cuz IHD is here ;)

Goofynina/Admin.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
anja

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »

:welcomesign;  , Joannie and Chachi , oops, I mean Chuck...  Just Kidding!  Glad to have you join the community.  So glad that you also did the research that led you to PD~  here is where I found out we had more choices besided Hemodialysis.  Hope training goes well for you both and you can get home and take care of it yourselves.  More power to you for all you do together, hope you give us reports on all your cruises!!!  Much luck and again, welcome!   :grouphug;
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 10:39:44 PM »

:welcomesign; Joannie

Good to See You Here!

See You Around

Tamara xxx ooo  :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
elizabetht

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 11:56:31 PM »

Hi and welcome,

I am a newbie too. I joined this site because I am a caregiver and my friend is diabetic also.
I hope you are able to take many more cruises and have loads of fun.  I understand your frustration with medical people not paying attention to what we try to tell them.  I swear the last people they listen to is the patient. Visit us frequently.  We are pretty nice.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 04:30:31 AM »

:welcomesign;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 04:38:12 AM »

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
carolyn77531

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 05:32:06 AM »

YOU are stronger than you realize.
Wiser than you know.
What was once your life is now your legend.........
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 09:20:33 PM »

Welcome to the community!

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Kathleen

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 04:11:53 PM »

:welcomesign; Joannie & Chuck
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 05:31:33 PM »

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 08:16:58 PM »

Joannie and Chuck.  Sounds like you have things pretty much under control.  I would also like to be on PD again, but I've had too many abdominal surgeries.  If your peritoneum is too scarred it won't let the toxins Cross the membrane.  Let us know if you come across any interesting tips.

Rerun, Moderator             :welcomesign;

Joanniebop

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 03:55:00 AM »

Rerun, thanks for your greeting and I am sorry that you are not able to due PD. Having abdominal surgery was a concern for me , for my husband , since he had already had a kidney transplant, but we were lucky and all is looking well.

The one "tip" I would share is to never give up, do a lot of research, and to take charge of your own medical treatment, managing, handling.

Since Chuck had been in rejection for a few months, not one of his Dr's ever suggested PD. I had to research it on my own and TELL the Dr's that this was the Dialysis of our  choice.

Have a great day!

Joannie
Earlinda

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 02:45:31 PM »

Welcome Joannie and Chuck!  You will find a bunch of loving and supportive people here and I know that I am looking forward to your posts.  I too am diabetic.  I have had retinopathy surgery twice on both eyes and they have been stable for 6 years now thank God.   :welcomesign;

Earlinda
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 03:24:31 PM »

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »