I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 05:30:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Sensipar and Renvela Assistance Program
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sensipar and Renvela Assistance Program  (Read 4500 times)
smartcookie

LMSW

« on: November 12, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »

At my clinic, Sensipar seems to be the drug everyone has trouble affording.  Most of my patients survive off of Social Security Disability and Medicare.  One program I have found very helpful is Patient Assistance Network Foundation.  Here is the website and a list of the medicines they cover: http://www.panfoundation.org/medications-covered  Usually, my patients receive a $4000.00 grand which makes their medicine free for a year!  I get lots of hugs over this website!   :grouphug;  Renvela is also covered on here and signing up is so much easier than Renassist and more convenient since Renassist is only open for a few months out of the year.  You can apply by phone.  You need to have your Medicare Part D card, your annual income and will need to tell them if you file federal income tax.  I hope this helps someone! 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »

Great program that should be very helpful for many that otherwise skip their meds.

I forwarded the link to our Son.  (fingers crossed).

Thanks!
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »

Anytime!

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »

Thank you for sharing this information with our site.  I am sure it will help someone.  Medications can be very expensive!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 12:20:57 PM »

I approached the foundation and was told that End Stage Renal Failure was not a condition that they help with.  I'm disappointed as I had high hopes as their eligibility requirements are more aligned with my situation.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 02:48:31 PM »

I approached the foundation and was told that End Stage Renal Failure was not a condition that they help with.  I'm disappointed as I had high hopes as their eligibility requirements are more aligned with my situation.

From the PAN website:
 Patients must meet the following criteria to be eligible for PAN assistance:
   *Patients must have health insurance and their insurance must cover the qualifying medication for which they seek assistance.
   *The medication must directly treat the disease.
   *Patients' income must fall at or below 400% or 500% of the Federal Poverty Level, depending on program-specific guidelines.
   *Patient must reside and receive treatment in the United States. (U.S. citizenship is not a requirement.) 

And the disease fund is: Secondary Hyperparathyroidism - Medicare Only (not ESRD).
Covered mediations:  Sensipar, Fosrenol, Phoslo, Renvela, Rocaltrol, and more.

Please check again.
You could qualify for the grant, though you may need to wait till Jan 2016.
https://www.panapply.org
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:05:04 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 05:04:11 PM »

Great, Zach. I actually wrote to them asking if ESRD was covered and they said "no."  I never would have thought about secondary hyperparathyroidism.  I never even heard my Nephro use that term--although I certainly have it.  2016  isn't very far away.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 07:16:23 AM »

If you have private insurance, or a private secondary policy that covers meds, Sensipar will give you a free copay card that reduces your copay to $5.00 per month.   There is no income limit for participation.    http://www.sensipar.com/patient-assistance-programs/private-insurance.html

Medicare regulations prohibit using this with part D medicare drugs plans.

The game is to price the drug to get the max out of insurance companies, and a byproduct of that is the high copay, which is resolved with the copay card.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 11:10:30 AM »

Unfortunately, I have a Medicare HMO ( a medicare advantage plan) so I don't think I'm eligible for Sensipar.  Wish I was, as my plan is quite expensive and calls both Renvela and Sensipar a Tier 3 drug.  Are they equivalent drugs?

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »

What do you mean by equivalent?   Renvela is a phos binder; Sensipar is to bind to the parathyroid calcium receptors and reduce the output of parathyroid hormone.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »

That's what I meant, but clearly they are not equivalent drugs.

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »

This thread reminds me what I was missing when I filled my weekly pill boxes.   I will need to check the VA Hosp Pahrmacy to see if my Sensipar refill is hung up as I haven't received it for over a week now.  If a problelm I will have to email my PD Nurse to get Dr to re-write my script.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »