I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 09:26:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Why so many mobility issues?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why so many mobility issues?  (Read 1895 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« on: December 19, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »

I have been in in-center Hemo for about a month.  It's seems like almost every patient there has some kind of mobility issue:  use a cane, have a prosthetic limb, use a walker or a wheelchair or they have a strange mincing gait.  I only have experience in this clinic, so I have a limited frame of refernce.  A lot of the people in my clinic are older, not not all by any means.  I, too, am older (74) but have no mobility issues.  Yet.  I'm starting to wonder if this is in my future.  I realize the CKD is now being called CKD-BMD (Bone Mineral Disorder), so if this what I'm seeing?

It's very discouraging to think it's only a matter of time before I can't walk either.  Am I seeing something universal?  Or idiosyncratic to my clinic?

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 03:17:27 PM »

My guess is you have to look at the underlying cause that caused the CKD a large percentage of the patients where I go suffer with diabetes.  One of the side effects of diabetes involves the loss of limbs,  in addition many patients are elderly,  I don't me in their 70's but late 80's and in their 90's.  With age comes mobility issues.  Basically the population on Dialysis is not the healthiest.  Remember. That there is a 92 year old still playing hockey with 40 and 50 year olds.  Everyone is different.  Enjoy your current mobility it may last you a long time.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »

Correlation != causation
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »