I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 02:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Stiffness of joints and muscles after dialysis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stiffness of joints and muscles after dialysis?  (Read 2446 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: July 03, 2015, 12:59:24 AM »

Hello,
As soon as I finish with dialysis , I get up and notice that all my joints and muscles feel very stiff and hurt
and the same thing happens next morning when I get up ...  and it takes a long time for me to get going ...
... Does that happen to anyone else? Is there any explanation to this with regard to dialysis?
... and is there anything I can do to prevent this?
Thanks from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 04:31:51 AM »

Yes, sitting in the less then soft dialysis chairs for a session, no moving I end up a little stiff.  The other thing I notice is that after a four hour session when I go home and sleep I sleep and move less in bed so I wake stiff and some times sore from sleeping in the same position.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 05:49:19 AM by Michael Murphy » Logged
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 04:51:58 AM »

I have also experienced this  (the joint part) ....... in my considered medical opinion (which is worthless since I am an engineer by trade) taking fluid off down to a dry weight is not an exact science and I have speculated that if enough is taken off  my body pulls some of the synovial fluid out of my knees.

But it is probably just sitting there for hours....... :laugh:

I dialyze right after work at home so I  also go to bed with an hour or two.  But, although a newbie, I sleep better since I started. And need less sleep. :bow;

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:03:14 AM by cassandra » Logged

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 11:42:51 AM »

My husband also experiences joint stiffness and soreness. I think probably a lot of dialysis patients do and for various reasons. One reason might be Amyloidosis. Obsidianom shared a news article about it under the thread "News Articles" titled "New Hope For Dialysis Amyloidosis". I will try to include the link to it here otherwise, people can go back to his thread to read the article.

NEW HOPE FOR DIALYSIS AMYLOIDOSIS        (sorry, tried to include the link to this article but couldn't get it to work).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:45:36 AM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »

Thank you very much Michael Murphy, Vt Big Rig and PrimeTimer for your kind thoughts,
it is very much appreciated. This is a very interesting point and I have not thought about it and I shall try
and put a little bit of movement into my dialysis-sessions and see if it helps ... I dialyse in the evening
and then I come home and go straight to bed and perhaps I should put a little bit of movement
during my dialysis-session and perhaps go for a little walk afterwards as well if I can ...
Many thanks again from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »