I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 04:28:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  TPD Discharge
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TPD Discharge  (Read 4543 times)
chuckdims

« on: December 10, 2014, 02:07:28 PM »

Not sure where else to post this . . . and it seems to be off topic as it isn't exactly dialysis related, so I think it belongs here.  This only applies to patients in the US.

Has anybody used their disability due to their failed kidneys to file for a Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge of their federal student loans?  I had my doctor sign the paperwork for me today and mailed it off via Certified Mail.  From what I can tell, I should not have a problem being approved for a discharge because I meet all of the requirements.

Just wondering if anybody else has any experience with this?  And, if not, maybe I could help other members learn about this option if they have federal student loans that they would like to have discharged due to their disability.  I wish I had learned about this option sooner.

Edited: moved to general discussion section-kitkatz,Admin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:48:56 PM by kitkatz » Logged

1986 - Born w/ Deformed Ureters
1989 - Bilateral Reimplantation of Ureters (Emory University -- Atlanta, GA USA)
2004 - Reduced Kidney Function Noted on Bloodwork, Kidney Biopsy Performed, Diagnosed w/ Stage III FSGS
2012 - AV Fistula Placed (University of Kansas -- Kansas City, KS USA)
2013 - Started In-Center Hemodialysis (September)
2014 - Started Home Hemodialysis on NxStage (July)
Zero

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »

I didn't even know that was an option.... But who wants to give up working lol.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:19:09 AM »

Not sure where else to post this . . . and it seems to be off topic as it isn't exactly dialysis related, so I think it belongs here.  This only applies to patients in the US.

Has anybody used their disability due to their failed kidneys to file for a Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge of their federal student loans?  I had my doctor sign the paperwork for me today and mailed it off via Certified Mail.  From what I can tell, I should not have a problem being approved for a discharge because I meet all of the requirements.

Just wondering if anybody else has any experience with this?  And, if not, maybe I could help other members learn about this option if they have federal student loans that they would like to have discharged due to their disability.  I wish I had learned about this option sooner.

Edited: moved to general discussion section-kitkatz,Admin

I know a lot about this. Yes it is a good program. You have a 3 year "monitoring period" after being accepted . During that time your income has to be under the poverty level for a family of 2 in your state. It is around $16,000 in many states.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
chuckdims

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »

I didn't even know that was an option.... But who wants to give up working lol.

Many do not have an option.  I worked for the first seven months of being on dialysis.  The first couple months were all right, but then it turned into a living hell.  I finally quit work and went on disability after seven months.  It was the best decision I ever made.  I feel 100 times better now.  Now my wife works full time instead of part time and I stay home and watch my kids.  I am able to rest a lot more and I feel so much better.

I know a lot about this. Yes it is a good program. You have a 3 year "monitoring period" after being accepted . During that time your income has to be under the poverty level for a family of 2 in your state. It is around $16,000 in many states.

Yes, that is true.  I did extensive research on it before submitting my application.  That income limit applies to my earned income only.  My SSDI does not count against it.  So even if I went back to work part time, I would be fine as long as I make under that limit -- which, like you said, is somewhere around $16,000.  Also, that does not include my wife's income -- only mine -- so I should be fine.

I also know they will send me a 1099-C for the amount discharged, but I will be able to exclude that amount from my income by claiming an insolvency exclusion on my tax return.  For some reason, I thought it was a great idea to finance my undergrad degrees and graduate degree and I owe right about $100k.  This will get that load off my back and it will be a tax free transaction as well.

1989 - Bilateral Reimplantation of Ureters (Emory University -- Atlanta, GA USA)
2004 - Reduced Kidney Function Noted on Bloodwork, Kidney Biopsy Performed, Diagnosed w/ Stage III FSGS
chuckdims

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »

My TPD application was approved yesterday. 

Any users or guests reading this researching TPD -- please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about the process.  I'm not an expert, but I would be more than happy to help you any way I can.

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 01:59:29 PM »

Congrats!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »

Lucky break for sure. I am happy for you.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »