I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 06:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Tattoos and Kidney Failure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tattoos and Kidney Failure  (Read 15639 times)
BattleScars

« on: January 17, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »

I'm just curious about tattoos. I really want to get my first tattoo but when I went in for my transplant evaluation they were very against it. Is there a medical reason why someone on dialysis can't get a tattoo? My wife says it's because of the risk of hepatitis but isn't all modern tattoo equipment and needles sterile if not brand new in any reputable tattoo parlor? I don't think I'll bleed much. Is there a risk the ink enters the bloodstream? I'd appreciate any informed opinion on the matter. Doctors and nurses are always going to error on the side of caution but I want to know if there really is a legit reason I shouldn't get a small tattoo?
noahvale
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »

^
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:58:31 PM by noahvale » Logged
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »

I know transplant will at least make you wait a year to find out if you have Hepatitis or HIV. Yes of course the tattoo parlors are supposed to take precautions but it's a matter of statistics. People in significant numbers have gotten ill getting a tattoo. Even with precautions you can get infections like any other wound. A blood infection should be very dangerous for you. You can always call and ask though if you have a transplant coordinator.

On the other hand, I have gotten totally hooked on watching season 3 of Best Ink. Love watching it but it looks like it hurts more than I want to tolerate.
Paulh8

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »

I had none before my illness and now have 3 tattoos, on my neck, lower and upper non fistula arm. Before i had my first done asked a few nurses at renal unit some didn't seem to know and a few advised me to ask my consultant but i already knew what they would say so just went ahead. As long as the tattooist is clean and you look after it you should be fine.

And no it doesn't hurt.
Bungarian

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »

When I first read this I thought it said tacos
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:37:57 PM »

It's not just hep  risks but also risk of infection (far more important for post-tx) and the like that is the issue.

once you're transplanted the geeneral medical view is to prevent as much as possible risks to infection - this is why oral hygene is so stressed, because the mouth/teeth/gums are one of the easiest places to get harmful bacteria/infections happening. Same with doing stuff that could create an infection risk. It's not about the tattoo per se, but the process that is the risk.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
codyedwardwilliams

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 11:36:30 PM »

I'm just curious about tattoos. I really want to get my first tattoo but when I went in for my transplant evaluation they were very against it. Is there a medical reason why someone on dialysis can't get a tattoo? My wife says it's because of the risk of hepatitis but isn't all modern tattoo equipment and needles sterile if not brand new in any reputable tattoo parlor? I don't think I'll bleed much. Is there a risk the ink enters the bloodstream? I'd appreciate any informed opinion on the matter. Doctors and nurses are always going to error on the side of caution but I want to know if there really is a legit reason I shouldn't get a small tattoo?

Toxins in some tattoo inks may enter the kidneys, lungs or lymph nodes through the circulatory system, according to Michele Van Vranken, a physician at Teenage Medical Service in Minneapolis, Minn.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »