I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 05:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  ADVICE
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ADVICE  (Read 3453 times)
Sandi1313

« on: May 23, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »

Hello dear friends,
My boyfriend Thomas & I would like some ADVICE.Recently we were told that I've a very SLIM chance of SURVIVING any kidney transplant.The odds are 98%percent of NOT SURVIVING any kidney transplant to 2%percent of surviving.We REALIZE that a kidney transplant  is NOT for everyone.WHAT would YOU DO?If you had to make a CHOICE.
Sincerely yours,
Sandi
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 03:27:37 PM »

Why did they tell you this? I'd have to consider their reasons for making this kind of statement and start my decision by getting a second opinion. All doctors and all transplant centers aren't alike. Someone else might say something entirely different. Don't give up hope yet! Get more information.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:46:51 AM »

Cant give any advice without a LOT more info about you.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »

That's hard. Not knowing why you won't survive, here's my advice. How much do you value the life you're living? Do you want to be alive even if it means dialysis all the time? This is something only YOU can answer. Not your boyfriend, not your mother, etc. It's a very personal decision. I probably would take the long shot because I really hated dialysis. But that's me. I would get a counselor and talk through the issues.
dialysisuser82

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 05:13:00 AM »

Hello dear friends,
My boyfriend Thomas & I would like some ADVICE.Recently we were told that I've a very SLIM chance of SURVIVING any kidney transplant.The odds are 98%percent of NOT SURVIVING any kidney transplant to 2%percent of surviving.We REALIZE that a kidney transplant  is NOT for everyone.WHAT would YOU DO?If you had to make a CHOICE.
Sincerely yours,
Sandi

Hi Sandi, did they explain the reason?  Usually doctors would encourage kidney patients to be on the transplant list. The Choice is yours. Do not rush in your decision.

It is funny how I am on the opposite direction. I have no interest in transplant.  I am comfortable with in center dialysis and it has been 32 years.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 05:43:23 AM »

I would like to tell you about my reaction to bariatric surgery,  several years ago my GP was pushing me to have weight loss surgery so I went to a presentation at a major hospital near me.  When the surgeon got to surgical mortality he said it was 2 %.  I got up and left the room because it hit me that if I was boarding a plane and was told the odd of arriving safely were 49 to 1 I would not board the plane.  I passed on the surgery cause the odds did not make good sense to me.
Your odds are just the reverse 1 to 49 not good.  I have been on dialysis for a little over a year and while "I hate dialyses" . It sure  beats the alternative. I am looking forward to long time on dialysis since I have reoccurring bouts of skin cancer.  But I know the best sunrise I will ever see is tomorrow's.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »

Hello Sandi,
Hello dear friends,
Sincerely yours,
Sandi

Hello Sandi,
such news appear to be devastating - until we get a second opinion and find out a little more about our situation...
Many years ago I was also told that a transplant would be no option - until I came across a nephrologist who told me
that I had a very good chance with a kidney transplant...
.. Years ago I was also told, that because of my fragile health I would experience great difficulties with dialysis,
also because I suffer from Systemic Lupus (SLE) and Mixed Connective Tissue disease (MCTD) and various other connected diseases...
.... and I was completely devastated, because I knew that I was in ESRF kidney failure
and I had no idea what could be done if and when my kidneys fail completely  ...
... but only recently I was told that my body could tolerate dialysis all the same, but that a transplant would be better in my case,
because it would keep my SLE/MCTD much better under control
and therefore give me a better chance, to avoid further devastating SLE/MCTD-flare-ups...

Research in medicine moves forward very fast these days, especially in nephrology and as an old continental proverb goes:

"Nothing is ever eaten as hot as it is being cooked..."

Good luck wishes from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:33:03 AM »

98%percent of NOT SURVIVING any kidney transplant to 2%percent of surviving.

Unless you find a transplant team that disagrees with the 2% change of success, you are going to probably have a hard time finding a surgeon to do the work.   Also, it may be difficult to get a donor organ allocated to someone with such a low chance of success.
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 01:00:20 PM »

Do your research and get second and third opinions.  All doctors do not see things the same.  I remembered when I first started Dialysis; my primary doctor at that time told me that I would only live for five years on Dialysis.  I laughed in his face and told him he is not God and cannot make that decision for me.  It is going on 15 years and I am still kicking it strong.  I’m learning new things about dialysis everyday and it’s making my life better.  Don’t believe what one doctor says unless you heard the same thing from three other doctors.  Some doctors are heartless and think everyone that’s not 100% healthy will die.  Stay strong and keep your head up!!!     8)

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »

Sandi,  are you stable on dialysis now?

What are your 'other' health issues that make your surgery odds currently so poor?

Are your Dr's addressing these 'other' issues?

I am NOT on any transplant list.  My Neph had me try one of the immuno-suppressant drugs, it almost killed me, the reaction was very bad.

Transplant is NOT for everyone.  A great number of us are content to stay on dialysis, it works.

Be religious about your diet and health care, it will make a positive difference.

Ask questions of anything that doesn't make sense, or is not clearly explained to your satisfaction.

YOU, have to take the most active role in your health care, the Dr can order meds, and advise, but ultimately it is up to you to follow through.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »