I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Other reasons for hyperkaleamia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Other reasons for hyperkaleamia  (Read 2523 times)
flipperfun

« on: May 11, 2014, 11:41:22 AM »

Hi everyone, I have just come out of hospital having treatment for excess potassium.  I know of course that some foods cause this, but can a leg injury, I have severe pain in my calf muscle due to a Bakers Cyst.  Would this also elevate potassium levels.  Any thoughts would be most welcome.  Thank you - Denise
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »

I dont see how a Bakers cyst can elevate potassium. Muscle tissue has potasium in it but only a severe crush type injury should effect blood chemistry.
Did they check your kidneys? What is your creatinine and BUN ? What medicines are you on , as some meds can do this.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:11:29 PM by obsidianom » Logged

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
flipperfun

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:43:47 AM »

Thank you for your reply. I am on Haemodialysis 3 times a week.  To cut a long story short, I could not dialyse last Monday even though I needed to, and ended up in hospital wiith high BP.  That is when the high potassium was discovered.  It was 7.2.  I was shocked.  I am careful with what I eat but clearly made a bad error of judgement with eating 2 hot cross buns over the weekend!!!

The only other time my potassium was 7.0 was when I was admitted to hospital with severe pain in my calf muscle.  It was a severe stabbing pain and I could not put any weight at all on my leg.  I do not know what I ate that time and it is wishful thinking that it is just food related.  The nurse was insisted that only food affects the potassium levels.

Meds are: lanzoprazole, prednisolone, calcichew, amlodipine and kappra

Thanks for listening.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »

I have never heard of Kappra. What is it?
Meds like ACE inhibitors and ARBs can raise potassium but not any of the ones you listed . It sounds like missing dialysis did it . Dialyisis lowers potassium .

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »

Keppra is an anti-seizure med. Missing dialysis can definitely result in raised potassium, esp after your 3rd day break over the weekend.
flipperfun

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 04:30:33 AM »

Sorry to not have replied earlier.  I'm in so much pain with my leg I've been in bed.

Yesterday I saw the dietician and she says exactly what you all have.  It was missing dialysis after the weekend that put my potassium up so high.  I had one of my epileptic siezures just as I was getting on the dialysis bed.  The unit wouldn't dialyse me because of that and very high BP, even though I needed dialysis!!!  I was then transferred to my local hospital for investigation, they do not have a dialysis unit.  It's barking mad, so I had to wait yet another day before being transferred to a London hospital for dialysis. 

I really thought it was something I had done wrong.  It freaked me out!  Thank you all for your support.  Denise
nursey66

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 08:17:46 PM »

I think being ill or having surgery can affect the potassium, for some people. When my husband had his bowel perforation,the hospital found his K to be at 7.1, even though he had dialysis the day before. And after a surgery he had a while ago, he was rushed to ICU and started in D because his K was over 7, even though again, he just had it the day before. In both cases he had not eaten in a while, so wasn't his diet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »