I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Crashing while on hemo
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crashing while on hemo  (Read 9713 times)
Peter

« on: June 19, 2007, 04:20:16 PM »

I moved to a new dialysis centre today, and they talked about people who crash while on dialysis. Does this happen often?
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 05:02:35 PM »

It can happen.  I think you are referring to a blood pressure crash which does happen in some patients.  With frequent bp monitoring which just about every patient gets this shouldn't be a problem.  Low BP during treatment is pretty easy to correct by adding saline to the lines.  I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.
keefer51

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:49:22 PM »

If they take off too much fluid my pressure will drop allot. I also will crash. I bring a bag of pretzels with me and suck the salt from a couple of them. This will usually bring my pressure up a little. If i keep the fluid under what it should be I don't have a problem.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »

taking too much fluid off will cause you to "crash" my neph is very careful with my dry weight because he doesn't want to dehydrate me. the one really bad crash i had was when the nurse "pushed" my dry weight, ie. took off more fluid than was called for. the neph has put a stop to that. i control my fluids very well. weight gain for me doesn't necessarily mean fluid gain. i have solved the problem by never letting them take off more than 2 kilos, no matter what i weigh.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:15:22 AM »

Pretty much as others have said it's about the fluid issue. Too much being taken off over the dry weight, or if your dey weight is too low then yeah you can "crash" (low BP).

I've managed to sort this out mostly by using jelly beans in the last 2-2.5 hours of my treatment to raise the BP. Haven't had a crash or cramp for months (woo hoo!)...

A "crash" usually results in you feeling faint, sweating etc... it's not pleasant but a cramp is worse in my opinion though I gather serious crashes can lead to people fainting which is no good. I've never had it that bad.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The key is to keep the fluid intake down (<2 kilo between sessions works for me) and watch the dry weight - a clue is that if over several sessions the average BP when measured is low for you then you MAY have put on dry weight and should get it moved up a bit. A higher average BP during sessions can usually mean a loss of dry weight. Hopefully the techs/nurses can monitor this too and make the appropriate recomendations/changes.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Peter

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 07:58:01 AM »

Thanks for those answers. I had wondered what they meant.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:17:46 PM »

Keeping your fluid intake down really helps.  Hubby has had very few crashes in the 7 years on hemo.  Usually had no more than 2 kg on. Always knew when he gained or lost weight by his BP.  Nurses always changed his weight when he told them. If they didn't he would either put in something to drink and not drink it or he would drink fluids during dialysis that weren't added into the weight to come off.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »

Hello IHD World, :bandance;

Shucks, this is another topic that needs revival.   :boxing;

I do the pretzel bit, and grab the bits of salt at the bags bottom.  :urcrazy;
Have been known to slop in some sea salt.    :secret;

So between a  :oops;     :banghead; and a   :Kit n Stik;     :sir ken;

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »