I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  What did you do with your dialysis meds?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did you do with your dialysis meds?  (Read 5728 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: March 05, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »

I had my Renvela prescription filled right before my transplant. I hadn't even opened the new bottles yet when I was called. I think I have a bottle or two of Sensipar, too. What did you do with your leftovers?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:42:02 AM »

I took everything to my local independent pharmacy for disposal.  That's what I do with all of my expired/unneeded medications.  The only meds they won't take are federally controlled substances (pain meds).  Those, I have to save and take to the police station when they do their drug drop-off days a few times a year.

If you don't have a local pharmacy that takes back meds, CVS sells a bag for a few dollars that you can stuff full and send off for disposal. 
Angiepkd

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »

I plan on checking with my dialysis center to see if I can give it to someone. That Renvela is so expensive, I would hate to throw it away.  It may not be possible, but it is worth a shot! I will let you know if it works!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
nursey66

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »

I agree, it would be wonderful to help out someone who needs the meds and has to pay a lot. We paid $850 for a 3 month supply of Renvela [810 pills]  and may have a bunch left due to a recent dosage cut and hopefully ,upcoming transplant. I think talking to the Dialysis nurses would be a start. However, meds do last quit a while, and heaven forbid, some transplants just don't make it very long. Meds can normally be counted on to be good for at least 2 years. It might even be illegal to give meds to anouther person.  Then there is the liability issue. Talk to your Dialysis nurse, or Transplant team before getting rid of those high $$$$$ Binders.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »

Unfortunatly Federal Law makes it illegal to give any prescription medication to another person . That is absolute.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
nursey66

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »

Yes , obsidianom , I was sure that would be the case.  Illegal.  I know you can't give scheduled drugs to anouther person. It's too bad. Who would take Binders if they didn't need them?  But I understand- liability and safety- I was a nurse before I retired.
Sydnee

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »

Maybe I should not say this if it's illegal, but my husband got a full bottle of renvela from his Dr who got it from a patient who received a transplant. He took all his renvela to the neph after he got a transplant.

After my hubby got his transplant he gave me his renvela, I'll  take it to my neph if/when I get a transplant.

After a hard fight to not start I started dialysis 9/13
started on PD
hoping for home hemo starting to build a fistula 1/14
cause PKD diagnosed age 14

Wife to Ed (who started dialysis 1/12 and got his kidney 10/13)
Mother to Gehlan 18, Alison 16, Jonathan 12, and Evalynn 7. All still at home.
www.donate2benefit.webs.com
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »

I have a ton of meds that I was using while on dialysis, including almost a whole 90 day Renvella delivery. And at 6 pills a meal and 2 with snacks, it's a ton. I'm waiting for our city prescription drop-off that they do twice a year to drop them off.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »

Unfortunatly Federal Law makes it illegal to give any prescription medication to another person . That is absolute.
It can't be that absolute unless I've known a surprisingly large number of medical people who are either ignorant of the law or are willing to risk their careers to save someone else a bit of dosh.

I gave syringes of Aranesp to my nephrologist in Long Beach to pass along to another patient when we left California, and we donated a large box of Albuterol and machine that went with it to our local free clinic. I've heard UCSF post-transplant clinic keeps a meds closet where patients can donate their unused drugs to other patients if they are taken off a certain prescription. I gave several immunosuppressants to Northwestern after I was taken off them, although I think they did bin those in the end because they didn't have a program in place to get them to other patients. I'm pretty sure there are programs where so long as a qualified pharmacist checks them over, you can donate them and they will be redistributed. Someone once mentioned hospice programs might take certain meds, may have been on this site.

If you prefer to go the disposal route you don't have to wait for specific collections. Before we moved here I rang Poison Control and they said to take the tablets and mix them in a plastic bag with used coffee grounds to keep the animals (and even people) from getting into them, then tie off the bag and discard with your regular rubbish. Don't flush or put down the sink as it will enter your local water supply (a huge problem already). Although this was only instructions for tablets, if you have fluids then I don't know what the best procedure for disposal is.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »

Yes, same down here re giving back or to others meds. I was really upset at the waste. Even worse I took some to the pharmacy to dispose of "properly" and it seemed to me they were very blase about it and I think just threw them in the bin. I did manage to pass some to a fellow patient but that was about it sadly. Such waste.

I also got the renal ward I was in to take some for their "spares" supply but that was very "on the side" deal with one nurse. Normally they're only to use meds dispensed for each patient, but on occasion they did have small amounts of stuff on hand for new patients rushed in etc where there would be no time to get an order etc in.

I understand the laws and why - don't get me wrong - but it is disappointing, specially with some of them that cost a small fortune (eg: sensipar) that unused blister packs couldn't be used somehow.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
noahvale
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:55:50 AM by noahvale » Logged
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »

I've given UNOPENED extra bottles of Renvela, Fosrenol and other meds like Calcitriol (all with personal labels removed) to dialysis center dietitians.  They only distributed to patients in need who had been prescribed those meds.  It does help a lot.  I benefited in the past by getting cyclosporine from other patients when not being able to afford it.  Yes, there are rules and regs, but many know the times when heads can look the other way.  Our disease, and its delivery isn't always a black/white situation.  At times, humanity trumps regulations.

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 01:43:50 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try contacting my dialysis center and neph first. I don't see throwing them out as an option right now, it's about $2000 of meds and I know someone would love to have it.

Deanne

Angiepkd

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 04:44:06 AM »

I plan on doing the same, Deanne!  Wish I had been in-center so I might have known other patients I could give the Renvela directly to.  Hope you are doing well with your new bean!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »

I haven't done anything with my medications yet and now I'm glad I haven't given them away yet. My transplant team told me to restart sensipar. My calcium level has been high since my transplant and it keeps getting higher at nearly every lab test. My last labs on Thursday were an issue in general and I need to have them redone tomorrow. My calcium is over 12, my creatinine is 1.2, my tacrolimus level is 15.9. I think most of it is related to the tacrolimus level and that's been lowered, so I'm not freaking out.

Deanne

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »