I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  New York City transplant centers
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New York City transplant centers  (Read 2165 times)
Sacha

« on: February 17, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »

Does anybody have any advise on which transplant center is the best in the NYC area for living donor kidney transplant? :thx;
Ninanna

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »

I had my initial work up done at NY Presbyterian Columbia. They were great and really made the process easy to understand and really took care of all the tests I needed done.

I ended up moving and haveing my transplant done at Hopkins. Doing my work up at Hopkins I found it very confusing, and at times I seemed more on top things than my coordinator. My care at Hopkins has been outstanding, but I know a large part of that is due to the fact I ended up being their first patient in a kidney/bone marrow transplant trial.

But I would definitely recommend NY Columbia

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
SooMK

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »

I am also awaiting transplant at NYP/Columbia, hopefully from a living donor who is out of state. Things have moved quite smoothly although not particularly quickly but I have been feeling ok and the logistics have slowed things down. I feel like I receive very good care there. I thought they stumbled initially with my donor and also at the evaluation they were very hard on her. She is a friend, not a family member, and they pushed her pretty hard during the interviews for some reason. Perhaps that's SOP. I wasn't concerned since she knows her own mind and if she can be talked out of donating then it's probably better she doesn't do it but she's a gem. I have a list I'm keeping to give them feedback at some point in the future mostly around her evaluation which I thought wasn't always handled very professionally. I still have a high level of confidence in them. I think the weakness is on the coordinator side, both hers and mine.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »

The Rogosin Institute is another possibility.
Good luck!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »