I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:21:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What makes you throw up? ( food, pills, etc)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What makes you throw up? ( food, pills, etc)  (Read 6062 times)
Dverdugo

19, Mothers caregiver.

« on: January 24, 2014, 06:23:51 AM »

So my mom is on dialysis (has a Cather in chest for now) but she throws up kind of often, mainly at night or early morning. I was wondering what can cause this ? Something she eats? ( they never really gave are a strict diet) or any pills she's taking ? THANKS

----DVerdugo
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:36:22 AM »

How long has she been in dialysis and what are her days and hours. Does she vomit every day or just certain days.? What meds is she on? What kinds of food does she eat? How much fluid do they take off?

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Dverdugo

19, Mothers caregiver.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »

Thanks for responding & she takes renvela, levoxythryn and ambien. She eats everything ( dietitian didn't put her on restricted diet ) mainly soups, chicken cutlet, rice. She doesn't throw up everyday .. She threw up the past two nights(  only liquid). It looked like the soup to me , sometimes she coughs so much until she throws up. She started dialysis sept. 2013 , T,THR & SAT 9am-12:30pm!

----DVerdugo
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:44:39 PM »

I would suggest having her doctor check her levothyroxine levels. too much can cause issues as well as too little.
It is possible it is just a stomach virus that will pass in time.
If she is drinking too much between dialysis treatments it can cause fluid in lungs and caughing which may trigger the vomiting.
You should let her nephrologist know what is going on. 
You mentioned in another post your mother has an auto immune disease that is attacking her kidneys. That can also be a cause of the vomiting.  IgA nephropathy can cause GI issues.  If it is flaring up she could be reacting to it. You definatly need to talk to the nephrologist. She sounds like a complicated case based on your other post so dont play around with this.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:39:15 PM by obsidianom » Logged

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
ToddB0130

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »

Review the side effects of her meds carefully.  I didn't really suffer nausea or vomiting while on dialysis .......... I have had several episodes since  transplant and I believe meds were one cause (also sometimes it was something I ate that might have interacted with the meds) ........I actually never outright vomited,  but suffered a number of episodes of 'retching' where nothing really 'came up',  except saliva (from spitting while retching) ......... not even many episodes where bile came up.  Sorry if too much TMI.

Review the meds and keep track of what she is eating and when in relation to dialysis.   Good luck.

No day but today
Angiepkd

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »

Before I started D, I was throwing up every few days. Never could pinpoint the cause, but my neph told me vomiting/nausea is a sign of kidney failure. Since I have been on D, I have gotten sick a few times during treatment (not a fun time).  I blamed it on eating too much during treatment, but am not sure that was the cause. Make sure to let your mom's doc know what's going on. If it is a constant problem, they have meds to decrease nausea.  Throwing up is awful when you are already struggling with kidney failure and dialysis. Hope you get some answers. Hang in there and hats off to you for taking such good care of your mom. I think it's as hard on the caretakers as it is on the patient. I know my husband deserves a medal for taking care of me! 

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 12:49:54 AM »

I am not yet on D, but do vomit on occasion and I'll darned if I know why. I am also usually nauseous in the morning and then it goes away. Go figure. But, as everybody says, check with your neph. Every body is different.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 04:19:12 AM »

I am not yet on D, but do vomit on occasion and I'll darned if I know why. I am also usually nauseous in the morning and then it goes away. Go figure. But, as everybody says, check with your neph. Every body is different.
Uremia can irritate the stomach causing vomiting. Thats why it can be a sign of kidney disease.

Dverdugo

19, Mothers caregiver.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »

Thank you guys for the replies ! And I've made an appt with her neph. He's hard to reach .. Dialysis nurses say it's normal for patients to throw also because she has a catheter and it doesnt clean the blood as well as a fistula does. I just feel bad because all of this has taken a toll on her ..and watching my
Mom go from a strong super mom to suffering is sad. All of you guys on dialysis are very strong people .. My prayers are always with all of you  :cuddle;

----DVerdugo
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »

As a caregiver to your Mom, Dverdugo, you too have joined the ranks of the 'strong people'. You make sure you hang around here, as you've now got a large caring family to support you. Ask all the questions that you want and just come here for a rant when things get extra tough.

Galvo
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:53 PM »

I still find cooking smells (early morning frying of bacon) or teatime ones can make me very nauseous, to the point of being sick.
Sometimes smell can trigger it.
Often feel sick post dialysis too for no apparent reason.
I can usually sleep that off in an hour or two. (Use more pillows)

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
kit78

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »

The cleaner I eat, the better I feel.  Stay away from soup right now and chart everything.  There is an App called "kidney diet" where you can enter everything you eat and keep track of it.  This way you can see what might be causing the problem.   Plus it just might be her body getting use to the dialysis itself.

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
Angelicfury

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »

For me personally, if I don't eat 1st thing in the morning I will get sick. Low pressure will do it also, looking up for more than a couple of seconds, over doing it (I have muscle fatigue issues that started with dialysis) and over eating. There is usually no rhyme or reason associated with it.

Has thou felt the fury of an Angel . . . .

In-center 7/7/08
4.5 hrs 3x wk
Formerly 161.8 Kg
Currently 129 Kg (dry)
JaeCie

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »

Thank you guys for the replies ! And I've made an appt with her neph. He's hard to reach .. Dialysis nurses say it's normal for patients to throw also because she has a catheter and it doesnt clean the blood as well as a fistula does. I just feel bad because all of this has taken a toll on her ..and watching my
Mom go from a strong super mom to suffering is sad. All of you guys on dialysis are very strong people .. My prayers are always with all of you  :cuddle;
Hi Dverdugo,
When I was on dialysis and probably true of most people on dialysis, I had End Stage Renal Disease. That means the body cannot remove toxins and although dialysis keeps us alive it cannot do the job as well as our kidneys do. As a result, the longer I was on dialysis the more I threw up. I had a standing prescription for anti-nausea medicine. As far as I could tell and based on my labs and conversations with my nephrologist and the dialysis staff, it's just part of the process of having a lot of toxins in your system. By the time I had my transplant my creatinine was at 14 and normal is less than 1 so vomiting is understandable.
Dverdugo

19, Mothers caregiver.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »

Thank you guys ! I appriciate the replies! I've been watching what she eats so she's not vomiting as much anymore .. !

----DVerdugo
Angiepkd

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »

Just saw this pop up on unread posts and thought, "how fitting". I threw up for 20 minutes during treatment tonight. My BP was a little low, so I was eating pickles. 'Nuff said.  Hope your mom continues to get sick less!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 01:37:40 AM »

Sometimes I think that over eating rich food will do it too. Recently I made sauce for spaghetti and 300 meatballs. Had to taste each batch, just one meatball and 2 hours later I was heaving all over the place. Wont do that again/

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Dverdugo

19, Mothers caregiver.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »

Yeah my mom never watched what she eats ... Now that I have to force her to eat better the vomiting has stopped, thank God!

----DVerdugo
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »

Certain smells will get me going.  The smell of the beef broth Kaiser serves with their liquid diet will make me vomit after I have eaten something.  I had that happen this hospital go around.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »