I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 10:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Got a solution for Christmas
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Got a solution for Christmas  (Read 2180 times)
Tío Riñon

« on: January 02, 2014, 07:48:32 AM »

As many of us know, one of the effects of this condition is being too hot or too cold.  I have been trying to cope with it for the last few years by using a programmable thermostat to save money, and yet keep my house at manageable temperatures.  I had limited success.  The other challenge for me is that I can't reach my thermostat when I'm on the cycler because I run it upstairs and my temperature control is downstairs.  Hence, I would have to estimate my needs and leave it set for the duration of my run. 

This year I requested and got a new thermostat for Christmas.  It's called the Nest.  I've only had it a few days, but love it.  It monitors your routines to determine the best schedule to activate your furnace or a/c and also implements energy savings.  If you aren't home and forget to turn down (or up) the temperature, it goes into auto-away mode and does it automatically.  However, my favorite function is that via the Internet (and Wi-Fi), you can control the thermostat.  I was hot the other night and turned it down via my laptop.  In the morning, I turned it back up since I was still connected.  I went away on a day trip and set the thermostat to "away" mode.  Before I returned home, I set the desire temperature.  It regulates my heat much better than my previous devices.

If you have similar issues, I encourage you to check it out (www.nest.com).  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Happy New Year! 
kit78

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:01:52 AM »

Cool idea! Thanks for posting.

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »

Don't you just love technology?

I just got a remote start in my car.  So, at 3:30am when I'm at dialysis (from my chair) I start my car to warm up.    :bow;

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »

I went to their website and looked and it sounds great!!! There is however, no mention of the price. Could you share the price you paid with us??

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
wbdoug

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »

I just looked the m up online at Homedepot: $249. Honeywell has some wifi thermostats starting at around $99. This is what I have and it does the job for me. It allows me to control the thermostat from the computer or a smart phone or in my case from my itouch.

Bill

8/3/2011 PD Cath installed
Life keeps interfering with my plans
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »