I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 04:22:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Cath out tomorrow
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cath out tomorrow  (Read 3087 times)
Bungarian

« on: January 14, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »

I am happy to have it out but am nervous. They say that they just pull it out. That sucks. Said I could drive myself home. Will it start bleeding again once I have left or can it do that? Does it hurt coming out?
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »

It depends on your approach to pain. If your're a wimp, getting a splinter out of your finger is a screaming OMG moment. If you have a higher pain threshold or are more stoic in nature, you can shrug off pulling out one of your own teeth with a pair of pliers. My experience with the cath removal was that there was a bit of discomfort and that was that. They should ensure that bleeding is well stopped, before you leave.

You'll be right!

Galvo
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »

The worst part about the catheter removal for me was the cutting and tugging.  I had my last catheter for 3 months and the skin grew around the catheter's cuff.  The doctor gave me several local injections and did a lot of snipping and tugging to get it loose before the final one big pull.  It was just annoying more than anything because the locals took care of the pain. 
marlinfshr

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »

Is this the chest catheter? Mine was in for just over 3 month's and it wasn't too bad when they pulled it out. They had to do a small bit of snipping but  they numbed me up pretty good so I only heard the snips. The only thing I remember feeling was some pressure since they had to tug on it pretty firmly but it wasn't bad. I do remember it being a little sore for a few days afterwards but nothing making me cry out in pain. And I am a big baby when it comes to pain.
Mr Pink

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:37:35 AM »

I had this done almost a year ago. I couldn't wait to see the back of it. It was pretty straight forward. Some local injections, a bit of snipping and then it was yanked out. A few stitches later and I was good to go. There's nothing to it, really.
Weggy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 07:29:40 AM »

I had mine for 6 months before it was taken out. They use local injections to numb it and they did some snipping. I only felt pressure when they were pulling it out. After wards, they held some gauze firmly on the hole for about 5 minutes so it could clot up.

It was just a weird experience.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »

The tricky part is the dislodging of the cuff from the skin (min was in for about 6 months), but the 2% lidocaine does a great job.  If you feel any discomfort, just ask for seconds.

I had no bleeding or pain, and ended up with a nice round scar about .25" in diameter.   I just tell people I took a .22 in the shoulder at a convenience store (Simpsons fans will understand the reference).
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »

I don’t remember that clearly because it was almost 15 years ago but I do remember the doctor putting a gauge over the spot and pulling the cath out.  I did not feel a thing nor did I have any pain afterwards.  There was no cutting, snipping, injections, or none of that.  Actually, come to think about it, it happened in the dialysis clinic while I was doing my treatment.   It was quick and simple.  No bleeding at all; however, everyone is different so I don’t know what your experience will be.  Anyhoo, don’t be nervous just take it one step at a time. 

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
Bungarian

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »

Well it is done. not too bad although it did hurt some. Doc said it was stuck in there pretty good. Took about 5 minutes to get out. The nurse held it until it stopped bleeding and he gave me a prescription for antibiotics and I was out the door.

Can shower tomorrow!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:29:27 PM by Bungarian » Logged
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:16 PM »

Good news!

Galvo
Bungarian

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 05:31:59 AM »

I didn't get a chance to ask the doc. Why would he give me antibiotics? Any one else get them after a cath removal?
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 05:37:19 AM »

I don't remember cos long time ago, but they have been messing with blood, and open wound, so sounds like  a sensible precaution to me. I'm glad it's over, and you can shower

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Bungarian

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »

WOW it feels good to take a normal shower.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »