I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 08:28:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula infiltration and a question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula infiltration and a question  (Read 3005 times)
Bungarian

« on: December 19, 2013, 07:53:02 PM »

They starting sticking my new fistula last Thursday. Everything went well until today. They planned to stick it twice or the first time. The first stick infiltrated. The second stick was good an the third infiltrated. So they ended up only using the one and my cath. The nurse told me that this happens with new fistulas. My question is will it hurt anything?

Also the sticking hurts very bad. I don't want to sound like a big wiener. I have never been bothered by needle stick but this hurts like crazy? Does this get better? Also they called me in some cream called elma I think. How well does this work?

Thanks
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 03:19:12 AM »

Infiltration generally doesnt damage the fistula. They probably pushed the needle through both walls and out of the fistula. It will heal like any needle stick heals. Dont worry about that. They may have to consider shorter needles if it continues. That is what I did for my wife as her fistula is small (short).
EMLA cream is an anesthetic to numb the skin. It takes an hour or so to work before they stick you. It can help a lot for pain. 

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »

Emla works great.   A common trick is to tape wrap over it to keep it in place for an hour before getting stuck.
Bungarian

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »

Thanks for the info. I hope it goes better next time.

lol I looked at elma cream on the internet and guys use it for sex.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »

Does it work?

Galvo
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 03:42:37 AM »

Does it work?
Only if you want a NUMB penis.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Bungarian

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:29:17 AM »

Does it work?

I don't know. I would need a girl freind to do any further testing. Plus I thought you were supossed to think about baseball. lol
Bungarian

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »

I still had a knot in my arm today so they used the cath.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »

Does it work?
Never used it for that, however, I would expect it would help if your problem is premature ejaculation.   Detane cream is a topical anathestic made specifically for sexual encounters.
Bungarian

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »

Today they got both sticks for the entire time. Elma cream made it much better.

I had a question. I used a glove and help pressure myself. After I took the glove off the nurse made my use that alcohol hand washing stuff. why?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »