I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 04:24:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Self canulation?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Self canulation?  (Read 3250 times)
Alex C.

« on: November 21, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »

My nephrologist has told me to expect to start dialysis in the coming year, and he's really pushing home hemo as the best alternative. I already have an upper-arm fistula (left arm, I'm more-or-less right-handed), and he says that it IS possible to essentially start doing home hemo, if I get the training ahead of time. The one thing that bothers me is the self-canulation.

I assume that, like anything else, with a bit of experience, I can probably do it. Still, I would assume that it's maybe a bit more difficult doing an upper arm than a forearm. As much as I HATE needles, I think that I'd hate having somebody else stick me 3x a week even more.

I guess what I want is for people who have been through this to share their stories. How difficult did you find doing this? What should I know before I get further into the training?
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:51:11 AM »

Home hemo is a great option as you control much of it and can get more dialysis then just the 3 times a week in center ususal. The self cannulating is a challenge that I cant comment on other then I do it for my wife as her care partner. That is one option. You will need a care partner anyway so you can think about having that person do it for you. The others here who self cannulate can comment on that aspect. I would suspect its like any skill that needs to be learned . It will get better over time.
I am a big fan of home hemo . I would like to see more people do it. I hope you can work it out. 

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:16 AM »

Hello Alex,

Former self-cannulator here.  I was on home hemo for 17 months and I self-cannulated for that entire time.  I started hemo in center with a chest catheter and then I opted for the fistula surgery nine months later after all of my upfront living donor candidates failed the testing and it looked like I was going to be on hemo for longer than I first expected.

I am right handed and my fistula was placed at my left bicep.  They originally wanted to put it in my forearm (and I have the scar to prove it) but that didn’t pan out after they started the surgery so bicep it was. 

I had only agreed to the surgery because I was starting home hemo and knew that I would be able to do buttonhole cannulation.  I wanted NOTHING to do with random techs cannulating me.  I am proud to say that after the original buttonhole formulation, I am the only person who has cannulated my buttonholes.  Even when I had to do hemo in the hospital, I cannulated myself no matter how sick I was. 

There were days that were definitely easier than others.  However, after time, you get to know your own fistula and its quirks.  Some people are freaked out over buttonholes because they are afraid of infections, but I can tell you that if you are going home, then your risk of infection is much less lower as you can take all of the time you need to prepare your cannulation site instead of just the slapdash sometimes done in the center. 

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to post ‘em and I’ll do my best to answer.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »

Hi Alex:
I am currently on Home Hemo. I have a bicep fistula in my right arm (I'm left handed!) I remember being told here on IHD that self cannulation was much less painful than letting someone else do it! I thought they were all crazy!!   :urcrazy;  But, you know what? It's true! It does NOT hurt as much to stick myself than when I was in center and let the techs do it! I won't let anyone else touch my fistula now!
For me, the bicep is fairly easy to do. Just a matter of practice. Mine takes a funny little curve at the top (where I put the venus) and I think it would be too hard to try to explain to someone else. The biggest obstacle for me was simply getting over the fear of doing it the first time! If you can get a good nurse, s/he can walk you through it.
Best of luck to you! Home hemo is the way to go. I feel so much better than when I was in clinic!
Hope this helps! Let me know if I can give you any other help!
   :cheer:   :cheer:   :cheer:

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »

I've never done self-cannulation. I assume that with time and experience it gets easier and feels more normal. You won't know if you can do it until you try. So go for it!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »

Hi Alex, I cannulate my right (dominant)arm biceps fistula with my left hand (weak +neuropathy after 17 yrs D)
So yes it's poss. I first started training coordination, and strength through writing etc with my left hand.
And I used Emla cream (lidocaine ) to feel less anxious in case it would hurt.

Nearly 2 yrs of self canning, and I wish I'd started 17 yrs earlier.

It's doable, you'll be fine!!!

Good luck, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
YouDontKnowCecil

The more you know ...

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »

Been doing this for years now. Provided you are able-bodied, there is no other person on the planet that can react as well as you can in case there's something wrong, such as going in too deep or going off to the side or hitting a "bend."

Best of luck!

1987 summer (age 9), Renal biopsy confirms kidney disease (Alport Syndrome).
2001 January (age 22), Arterio-venous fistula put in left forearm.
2002 March (age 23), Started in-center hemodialysis (12 years!).
2014 April (age 35), Now training for self home hemodialysis with NxStage.
Angiepkd

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »

If I can do it, anyone can do it!  I made my own button holes and am the only one to use them. It was not hard to learn and it doesn't hurt at all now. I have a left upper arm fistula and have been doing home hemo for almost 9 months.  No real problems.  Best of luck to you!  You can do it!   :cheer:

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
jr1234

If Love Were Easy There'D Be No Music

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 08:55:25 PM »

Alex I started self cannulation   on my third dialysis day.  I have right handed and my fistula was on my right upper forearm.  The initial start was all faith.  I found the Emula cream to work well giving me confidence.  My Fistula was very hard for the nurses to find.  I was able to cannulate myself with no issues and in fact knowing my fistula saved my life.  I waited 7 years for transplant and going on my 3rd year.   My fistula would have not lasted if I relied on different nurses. 

Guard you Fistula
Know your Labs and Meds.
You can learn to balance your water intake.
Be your own advocate and learn the process.
Find a good dialysis setting that you can tolerate.   
I found this forum to be the best source of information and encouragement during my dialysis.
I wish you well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:56:51 PM by jr1234 » Logged

"I was OK but I got Over it"
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »

My nephrologist has told me to expect to start dialysis in the coming year, and he's really pushing home hemo as the best alternative. I already have an upper-arm fistula (left arm, I'm more-or-less right-handed), and he says that it IS possible to essentially start doing home hemo, if I get the training ahead of time. The one thing that bothers me is the self-canulation.

I assume that, like anything else, with a bit of experience, I can probably do it. Still, I would assume that it's maybe a bit more difficult doing an upper arm than a forearm. As much as I HATE needles, I think that I'd hate having somebody else stick me 3x a week even more.

I guess what I want is for people who have been through this to share their stories. How difficult did you find doing this? What should I know before I get further into the training?

I would advise getting in touch with Stuart Mott at Home Dialysis Central, ask the experts. He has an entire system developed to help you overcome your fear and give you a solid platform to learn self cannulation quickly, easily and correctly.

http://forums.homedialysis.org/forums/20-Stuart-Mott-Cannulation-Expert

You can also find him on FB on their Home Dialysis Central FB page as well.

https://www.facebook.com/HomeDialysisCentral

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 09:55:18 AM »

You can learn if you are motivated.    The best motivation is contemplating the prospect of patient care techs with varying degrees of skill an experience puncturing you to doing it yourself.    If you go the home hemo route, it means an end to negotiating with techs over how much fluid to take off in a treatment.

Yes, it was scary on the third day of hemo training when I was told "time for you to do it".   I have only been doing home hemo for about 4 months, however, I have had ZERO infiltrations in that time.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:04:19 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »