I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:18:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Motorcycles and dialysis
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Motorcycles and dialysis  (Read 9651 times)
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »

CW. I'm in the same boat. I also ride a KLR. I am only 5'10" so it's a very tall bike for me. I have a lowered seat which helps but it's still tough if you need to stop on eneven ground. Over this Winter I bought a set of lowering links and a shortened stand. I am hoping that lowered a bit will make it easier to ride and I can get out more.

That is when the snow melts.

Lol speedy I am with you on that I am 5'7" (shorter than you) and my bike is stock. I decided not to do lowering links I adjusted the preload on the rear shock  a bit and I eventually got comfortable with the height of my bike. Happy riding speedy thanks for sharing I thought i might be the only crazy patient riding a dual sport

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
Speedy1wrc

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 05:16:30 PM »

Ouch, that is a tall bike for you then. I wish I could keep mine the way it is since it rides so nice but I can't get on or off it easily. I can't lift my right leg high enough to clear the seat. Then coming to a stop I feel uneasy having to search for footing and tip it to rest on my foot completely. Once rolling though it is one of the best handling bikes I've ever had.

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 08:19:41 PM »

Oh Bill, thank you so much for the link.  I am definately looking into this!  5 to 6 grand is a lot better than 30 grand.  This is exactly what I need.  Do you personally have a Voyager Kit?  They look fairly simple to install, but my bike is as low to the ground as it is due to  my 25" legs.  I love this. Perfect for what we need.  I could put his D. machine on a trailer if we wanted and just travel!  Instead of our short trips in car, we can take the TRIKE!   Again thanks, Bill.

Grumpy, good to see you up and runing.  Those infections are tough, so please be careful.  Been waiting for one of your Nashville tours again.  I know youve got it scheduled again, but when is the question. When do you think you'll be able to do PD again.  Hopefully before riding season, I pray!

Thanks again for the Link Bill. Going to look into it.

God Bless,
lmunchkin   :basket: :bunny: :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Gerald Lively

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »

I hope this comes through.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Gerald Lively

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »

The picture above is  my old custom bike.  Some fellow went over a cliff and I bought the engine and lower case, then, had it painted and entered it in a show (1982 Redding) and won Best of Show.  This is one of eight Harleys that I owned.  Lotsa art work  that the photo does not show.  The bike is the Barbarian.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
CW

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 12:57:13 AM »

Speedy my klr is in front black/grey pic taken right before a group ride ... Of course i have the only dualsport in the group

20 years navigating ESRD

Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 06:49:28 AM »

Nice bikes gents.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »

Wow, Im impressed Gerald.  What a chopper!  A buddy of ours owns a beautiful "Big Dog" chopper.  We were talking the other day about another little day ride.  He is ready & Iam almost ready myself.

Fantastic pix's guys!  Beautiful rides!

God Bless,
lmunchkin :basket: :kickstart;

Speedy1wrc

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »

CW...wow that's way too new!
malaka

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »

What Grumpy meant about the 4 wheelers is that they are like training wheels for a motorcycle.  You have 1 in front and three in the back.  The middle one is the one that came with the bike originally, with one added on each side.  I rode one once:  it made turning a wide arc affair as you can't lean over very far.  On the other hand, you couldn't tip over if you tried. 
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »

Very unique bike, CW.  You must do alot of off road riding too.  Guy I work with has a dual sport cause he loves to ride off road, but wants to drive to work also.  I would probably love it, but it is too high off ground for me.

God Bless,
lmunchkin   :basket: :bunny: :kickstart;

Speedy1wrc

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 07:12:08 PM »

They are OK off road, but tall and decently heavy for that. They are not for short riders, though CW seems to do OK. Fortunately there are a ton of lowering kits for those of us vertically challenged. They do however change the geometry and the ride somewhat. CW's is newer and has a lowered Corbin style seat. I added one to mine as well which almost makes it ride able. You can lower them a good 3" which is a lot. I am lowering mine 1" which I hope will be good. On the open road they are very well mannered except being a thumper and vibrating like the dickens. Above about 30mph the mirrors are pretty pointless they shake so much.
CW

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »

Speedy i totally forgot what I did to my seat... It is actually not an aftermarket seat I took it to a car upholsterer and had him cut it down. So it is the original seat just with less foam padding. He did a good job too because you cannot tell it is the stock seat

Speedy it is two years old now .... Not that old but i bought it brand new in 2011

Lmunchkin thx ....the clear indication that I don't ride off road is that my bike is too clean (no dirt on it) I would like to but like speedy said the bike is top heavy and can behave badly on dirt. You need some real skills to wrestle that pig on dirt. I hope to ride on dirt one day maybe I will get a full fledged dirt bike or a smaller dualsport

20 years navigating ESRD

Chuckracer

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »

Boy am I late to the party! I'm 53, a Hemo patient (12 years), been riding since I was 10 and will never quit. My Dialysis center is just far enough away (35 miles) and I am a little too tired afterwards that every time I have ridden in, I really wish I hadn't when leaving (and it always seems like such a god idea at the time!). Fortunately in a couple months a new unit is opening that will only be about 8 miles from me, and I plan on riding a lot this summer.

Here's my kids (The Ducati has been sold *sniff*):

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:39:58 PM by Chuckracer » Logged
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »

Nice rides Chuck! I ride a Spyder now, having given up my Harley Road Glide for a couple of reasons - none of which had to do with dialysis. Love the ride! Here's hoping you can get more riding in with your clinic closer to you.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »