I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 05:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Who can eat at your clinic while dialyzing?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who can eat at your clinic while dialyzing?  (Read 72866 times)
knittingdan

« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »

My center is pretty much okay with eating on dialysis, at least on the night shift.  I usually bring a snack and a bottle of water, but whether or not I eat or drink just depends on how the night goes.  I like to have some water handy in case I start to feel dehydrated, and the occasional snack keeps me from tearing out my needles and cannibalizing the techs.  Sometimes I just don't have time to eat dinner before dialysis so I'll grab a Subway and eat it in the first hour or so.

The bad side of eating on dialysis: I used to sit next to a patient who would bring in a full bag from some off-brand Mexican fast food joint.  He would scarf that garbage down in his first hour or two, then an hour or so later start cramping, and cutting these horrendous farts that smelled like something died.  Roughly halfway through the shift he would have to be taken off to use the restroom.  Sometimes he didn't make it.

Thankfully, they moved him to the other side of the unit with a few other "trouble" patients.
jalexander451

« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2011, 07:41:47 AM »

My center allows me to eat when i dialyze.  My wife prepares a full kit for me--sandwich, chips, juice and cookies or fruit.  I can spend maybe 2 hours eating while dialyzing.
Kay

« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »

Here in Brighton, UK, the hospital send round a trolley of free food (sandwiches, cakes, biscuits, etc) three or four times a day. Everyone eats and I was allowed to take food in for my husband, as he did not fancy the trolley food.
Don't really understand the ban - my hubby is insulin dependent diabetic and so had to eat.
It really does help to pass those long, long four hours!!
Keith98058

« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »

My center does not like us to eat during treatment, but they do not stop us either.  I have no choice in the matter with an Insulin Pump.. either let me eat, or I simply don't wake up at end of treatment.  So my treatment food is a can of Pineapple every run.  Plus.. I'm never hungry due to gastroparesis but when I get hooked up then I feel super hungry.. so it's always the best time for me to eat.
Krisna

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »

My center doesn't like us to eat but they don't do anything to stop it, either!  Now that I dialyze in the evenings I only suck on hard candy.  They don't like that very much but I'm careful abt it.  If I didn't suck on the candy I'd eat way too much ice.  I've seen people order pizza's and other take out food.  I can't eat anything big on dialysis now days because my blood pressure has been running low.  It's weird.  It drops when I lie down and goes up when I stand!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
NDXUFan

« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:31 AM »

you would know why eating SHOULD be banned during dialysis. The worst case I ever had was a man who coded while eating a peanut butter sandwich. MY GOD.. what a mess. It took forever to clear his airway. For those whose clinics ban eating, be grateful that they care enough about you to do that. Its the ones that allow eating that are wrong.

SEIG HEIL, DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES!!!!
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »

My dialysis unit, the Laird Dialysis unit allows full meals and in fact, recent evidence is that dialysis patients have better outcomes with protein during dialysis. That being said, the way American dialysis units perpetrate violent dialysis sessions against their patients for pure business oriented greed, there is indeed a danger if you are prone to hypotensive episodes caused by excessive ultrafiltration rates.

In a world of optimal dialysis, there is absolutely nothing wrong in eating while on dialysis for the average patient without underlying difficulties swallowing food. In the world of conventional, American style dialysis, there could be potential risks.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2013, 01:31:25 PM »

My dialysis unit, the Laird Dialysis unit allows full meals and in fact, recent evidence is that dialysis patients have better outcomes with protein during dialysis. That being said, the way American dialysis units perpetrate violent dialysis sessions against their patients for pure business oriented greed, there is indeed a danger if you are prone to hypotensive episodes caused by excessive ultrafiltration rates.

In a world of optimal dialysis, there is absolutely nothing wrong in eating while on dialysis for the average patient without underlying difficulties swallowing food. In the world of conventional, American style dialysis, there could be potential risks.
I do a lot of office surgery and use local anesthetics. I find that if a patient has an empty stomach in the morning when I work on them they often end up with a vaso vagal type reaction and end up dizzy with their blood pressure dropping. Then I have to tip the table way back to get thier feet up higher than their heads to get them normalized. When people eat before and come in with food in their stomachs it almost never happens. I think food in the gut aloows the body to deal with stress better (including dialysis) and would tend to reduce hypotension issues.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »

My mom's dialysis clinic allowed her to eat.  Whenever I was in town, I'd bring her lunch.  She liked Whataburger, so that's what I brought her.  She'd regale me with stories of which patients liked which kinds of food.

But whenever my mom travelled and so had to dialyze in other clinics, the rules seemed so random.  Some forbade eating during dialysis while others allowed it but only small, bite sized bits of food.  I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that some clinics just don't want to have to deal with any mess that comes with patients eating during treatment.  Seems to be a matter of convenience rather than medical contraindications.  If a clinic doesn't want to be inconvenienced in any way, they'll make up some medical gobbledygook.

Sure, there may be a risk of choking for some patients, but I'd imagine those same patients may run the same risk at home or in any place they may consume food.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
frankswife

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

No one eats at Frank's center. There are vending machines in the lounge. There is a junk food machine and there was a drink machine with soda and juices, but they took that out because they didnt want the patients drinking and the machine was apparently too much temptation. The problem is, at least 80% of the patients are insulin dependent and the nurses dont stock juice at thier station. I am going to have to bring in a glucogon kit and show the nurses how to use it for Frank in case he goes hypo. They only check blood sugars on request and then don't like to do it because it has to be sent to the lab and costs a fortune and blah blah blah. Makes no sense to me. He has his own meter there but they wont use it. ??????

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »