I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 02:10:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question About Lidocaine Cream
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question About Lidocaine Cream  (Read 2206 times)
Krisna

« on: December 15, 2013, 02:29:07 AM »

I saw my kidney doc this week and asked him for the cream.  The reason why is because 2 weeks ago on Monday I walked into my kidney center and John (hubby) went over to my chair while I weighed.  As I walked up he said, "They ran out of lidocaine!"  I thought he was joking but he wasn't because the nurse came up and said the same thing.  I said, "Then I'm not going on without it!  There is no way in hell I'm going on without it, my arm is WAY too sensitive!"  Luckily, they had an early morning spot open and I only had to wait another 12 hours plus I am always careful with my diet and fluids.  The next day the manager came up to me and apologized saying it was totally out fault we calculated wrong.  I didn't say anything but I was thinking, I know it's your fault.  And they knew I wouldn't go on without it.  They should've called me so I could've looked for a back up spot at another center!  I was a little ticked off at them!

My question is, how long before dialysis should I put it on?  And how much?  And I'm thinking I'll still have to use the injections too.  One of the nurses said another patient has to do this because his arm is super sensitive like mine!  It takes a lot to numb my arm!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 03:21:44 AM »

O o what a pain in the neck that is  :secret;  The cream I put on between half or an hour before I stick the needle. The spray I put on between 20 Min's to half an hour. If I felt sensitive I put on both.

With buttonholes I put exactly on the holes. With laddering on the places I wanted them to stick (2cm?) with the cream. I sprayed the whole fistula just in case.

Good luck Krisna, Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
pdpatty

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:01:36 AM »

I am SO blessed. When the surgeon put in my fistula,the nerves in my arm must have been severed and they never repaired. My fistula has bee numb and I NEVER feel being stuck. What a blessing as that pain was my main concern about being stuck.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 02:04:38 PM »

Wow that is a real silver lining

:2thumbsup;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Krisna

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 12:03:55 AM »

My old fistula in my lower arm (same side) was that way.  I'd had it so long (21 yrs) that all the nerves were dead!  But my upper arm is sooooo sensitive!  And if I'm not feeling well it's even worse! 

I have the cream.  I got some advice abt it from a friend who uses it too!  So, we'll see how it goes Monday night!

I still can't believe my center ran out of lidocaine!  I just don't understand how the hell you let that happen!  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »