I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:27:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  am new and waiting for surgery for PD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: am new and waiting for surgery for PD  (Read 3830 times)
duncan reamhiar

Forward The Forty Twa

« on: August 23, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »

well here i am... already had a fistula put in my L arm for Hemo... my Neph never gave me an option for PD or HD.. just sent me to surg for the fistula...  figured it was because of all my heart troubles... (have had several heart attacks and have 8 stents in place as well)... got a new dr closer to home who told me i DID have a choice  the matter and suggested PD was a better way to go as the restrictions were NOT quite so severe as Hemo... so as the fistula is not quite matured enough yet we decided to go the PD route... will have my surg for that 9/11.. am really a bit down about the whole thing at the moment.. 1/2 way thinking about not bothering as i really can't see anything good coming out of it in the long run... ( i know a wee bit about dialysis worked EMS for over 13 yrs.. worked in a Radiology dept for 5 yrs and worked on a Surg Unit for 3 yrs).. now my mind is a bit shot these days but i still know what all this entails.. and i know all about the cramps... the pain... the misery that goes along with this whole deal.. the wife found this site and wanted me to join so i could hear from REAL dialysis patients... been there and done that in RL almost daily for many yrs... but here i am you'll find me to be very direct and very honest when i have something to say so i hope no one takes what i say as an insult... it's not meant to be... anyway 'm 56 yrs old from Mass who transplanted down to South Carolina as i met my wonderful wife and tis is where she chooses to be so this is where i am... the main reason i'm doing this dialysis is for her... for some reason she still wants me around... lol.. i used to be a piper but the 1st Neph told me i couldn't play anymore because of the fistula.. the new one tells me i may be able to ad should not give up the thought of playing again.... we'll see what comes... as of now i had my fistula put in back in June 2013...  i'm still having some issues with pain in my arm from that... 'm at the point where pretty much everything makes me feel sick.. food, drink, smells... about the only thing i can eat without feeling sick now is pudding.. jello and up til about a week ago yogurt... but now the yogurt's making me feel sick.. used to go thru 2 litres of Diet Coke a night but have cut that back to about 20 ozs and switched from the DC to Sprite or diet 7Up... guess you could say i was addicted to the Coke.. lol have been a night owl for too many yrs so now i still stay awake nights and TRY to sleep during the day.. (sleep comes very hard).. too much pain from Arthritis and my Neuropathy keeps me awake. anyway i guess this is more than enough to start out about me for now no?...

Nemo me impune lacessit

RESPECT

Duncan Reamhair
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:12:07 AM »

Welcome, Duncan!        :welcomesign;

Before I started PD I was always feeling nauseous - now I can pig out with the best of them.  Maybe you'll get your appetite back, too.

Again, welcome.
duncan reamhiar

Forward The Forty Twa

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 02:18:23 AM »

thank you Mary.. to be honest am very worried about what this all entails.. cost .. time.. and the rest... but i guess what comes is going to come regardless..

Nemo me impune lacessit

RESPECT

Duncan Reamhair
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »

Hi there Duncan, and  :welcomesign; to IHD! I am also practicing PD, have been for 2 years. I've found that the modality is good for me. It certainly lets me have the flexibility in my diet and fluid intake that keeps life easy to live. I think you'll find that, once you get started, your queasiness will settle down and you will sleep better. I do CCPD, so am dialyzing all night while I sleep. Most nights that winds up being just fine. Some nights I toss and turn and pinch my lines causing alarms that wake me up and cause me to have to shift positions. If you have questions, please ask away - we're here to help each other get through this.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »

i used to be a piper but the 1st Neph told me i couldn't play anymore because of the fistula.. the new one tells me i may be able to ad should not give up the thought of playing again.... we'll see what comes... as of now i had my fistula put in back in June 2013...  i'm still having some issues with pain in my arm from that...

I'm confused, do you mean the Bag Pipes? Why would your first doc think that? Sounds like you have found a better doc - I say play away, just not next door to me :)

The pain two months on is a concern - what sort of pain? A dull ache? Sharp pain to the touch?

The nausia should get better when you start PD
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:40:55 AM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »

Welcome Duncan.  I'm so glad you found us.  Don't worry about cost.  Since you are starting Home PD Medicare will pay at your first treatment.  (I think)  Any way you will do fine.  It is not fun and a huge time hog but stick with us my friend.

Rerun, Moderator    :welcomesign;

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 03:42:20 PM »

:welcomesign; Duncan!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Shaks24

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 05:27:45 PM »

Welcome Duncan   :welcomesign; .  I am waiting for PD Catheter surgery too. I hope you decide to play the pipes again and are able to do so with no problems.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »