I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  A Really Quick Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Really Quick Question  (Read 3137 times)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« on: July 30, 2013, 06:37:14 AM »

... or three, about a thrilling but un-used fistula.

I've done a search and I know there are threads on this and I've had a gander at them, but I'm selfishly starting my own thread because I can.  Also, sometimes it's a pain having to wade through other threads to find answers.

;D

We joined the gym (weight loss and toning up, as well as generally increasing our fitness levels) and last night we had our second induction where we were shown how to use the weights.  It dawned on me that even though Blokey doesn't need to use his fistula due to the transplant, he does need to look after it so is it okay to do weights, should there be a limit on the weights and how will he know if his fistula is *angry* at him doing the weights?

If anyone has any answers that would be fab.  If not he'll obviously email Hospital. I get the impression it should be okay but I don't want him to do any lasting damage to something which may need to be used as a lifeline again at some point.

Thanking you all kindly.

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Icare

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »

Found this online don't know if this helps.

we have a patient who just went to the national weight lifting contest in his weight class who has a fistula and has no difficulties whatsoever with his access or lifting. Using common sense, building up weight as you start slowly, will find you having continuing success with your weight lifting.

Best wishes for your improving good health.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 06:50:07 PM »

I think it's a steady-as-she-goes thing - and the biggest thing to remember is not to let any kind of weight pinch it off, so be extra careful when using bar bells or anything that could press against it.  Small weights to start and a gradual build up shouldn't hurt it, though.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 06:06:48 AM »

Thanks lovelies.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »