I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 12:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  The Wait How Long
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wait How Long  (Read 8826 times)
Alisa

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 09:26:40 AM »

Sorry I am very confused. My transplant cooridnator told me that she cannot tell me where or what number I am on the list. All I know is that I was approved for transplant and have been having my monthly antigen bloodwork for the last 8-10 months now? How do I find out more info.  Is this just a Canadian thing?
Alisa

PD since 2005
Waiting for transplant
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 10:16:22 AM »

Alisa, we don't know our exact number on the list.  When we are talking about wait times, we are talking about statistical averages.  Some places have a much shorter average wait time than others.  I'm trying to get on the list in Michigan.  The average wait time is 5 years. That only tells me that most of the people in Michigan have to wait that long before they get a transplant.  The last person from my center to get on the list only waited a month because he was a perfect match for someone.  Another woman at my center has been waiting for over 6 years. 

As the saying goes, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »

Nobody ever has an exact "number" on the list as thelist is constantly changing everytime an organ becomes available. When I got the call for a kidney, I know I was directly at the top of the list at #1 because it was a perfect match, means I would go directly to the top, however minutes before that info was entered I could of been 10,000 or whatever.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
renal30yrs

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 12:34:59 AM »

Don't count too much on whatever these coordinators have to tell you.  I was told I was number 3 in my blood group almost 3 years ago and yet still dialyzing.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 06:50:44 AM »

They should of never gave you a specific number renal, nobody is a specific number as I said the list changes everytime an organ's info is put into the system.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 08:10:35 AM »

hmm I've done a search and still am not clear about what these FRA levels refer to???? I doubt it is something to do with Frankfuirt... I wish they were though.. mmm.. hot dogs  :)

Anyhoo... A+ here, on the lise approx. 2 years (I am not 100% certain when i was put on the list).

I've heard various reports as to how long the average wait is down here.. anything from 3 to 7 years... but you know it's just that.. an average.. you could get a call tomorrow or not for the next 10 years (but I bloody well hope not!)

Wishing everyone gets the call sooner rather than later!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2007, 11:14:10 AM »

It's PRA levels not FRA levels, Richard. And they have to do with matching you to someone else. High PRA levels makes you a very hard match, and low PRA levels makes you an easier match. I forgot what PRA stands for but the A Is Antigen.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2007, 12:08:33 PM »

What is a PRA?
PRA stands for Panel Reactive Antibody. It is a blood test that is routinely performed on patients waiting for kidney transplants. It is a way of measuring the anti-human antibodies in the blood. A person's PRA can be anywhere from 0% to 99%. Your PRA represents the percent of the U.S. population that the anti-human antibody in your blood reacts with. For example, if you had a PRA of 25%, then the antibodies in your blood would bind to the tissue types of 25% of the people in the population.

How does the PRA effect kidney transplantation?
If a patient has a high PRA, then his blood contains antibodies that react with a large portion of the population. Therefore, a large portion of the population cannot be a kidney donor for him. As a consequence, patients with a high PRA usually wait much longer for a kidney transplant than patients with a low one. The following table shows data from the most recent UNOS annual report (which keeps track of national transplant waiting times, among other things):
 Peak PRA    Portion of Kidney Transplant Waiting List    Median Waiting Time before Transplant
    0 - 19                          60%                                                 490 days
  20 - 79                         21%                                              1042 days
   80+                                 19%                                              2322 days

As you can see, for patients placed on the kidney transplant waiting list in 1992, those with a peak PRA over 20, which represented 40% of that years' kidney waiting list, median waiting times were 2 to 5 times longer than for patients with a low PRA. A substantial portion of the patients with the highest PRAs will never get transplanted without some treatment to reduce their antibody levels. The problem is especially frustrating for patients with a live kidney donor, since their waiting time could be very short were it not for the positive crossmatch.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 12:22:53 PM »

Thanks once again Karol, you really do your homework.  :2thumbsup;
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »