I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:14:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Juicing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Juicing  (Read 6225 times)
Riverwhispering

« on: October 25, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »

Does anyone know if you juice solid foods like carrots and other solid foods like that if it then is considered a liquid on dialysis?

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »

Yup, sorry.  The normal fluid limits give you leeway for the liquids that are in most foods, but liquid is liquid.  That's why D patients have to be so careful with fruit like watermelon that is mostly water.  If you are tossing out fiber mush and only drinking the juice, then that's a big problem. If you are pureeing it from a solid and spooning it up like baby food, then it's not any different from the amount of liquid you get with a normal serving of veggies, but be careful even with then - you can eat a lot more of it in one sitting than you could if you still had to chew it. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

SteveK87

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »

Especially avoid tomatoes.  Believe it or not tomatoes have a higher ratio of water content than a watermelon.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »

wouldn't juicing make it easier to get too much potassium also?

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »

I think so.  It would take you longer to fill up, so you would drink more. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »

Easy potassium overdose.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »

Wow! Never thought of this! Good to know!   

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »

Im not the one on D but i've just gotton into juicing..  I "think" that the wheat grass, since you just take' shots', and its a great cleanser, has been benifitial to many different medical situations.  Of course it needs to be looked into as it's source of all the stuff D people have to watch out for.  It was actually highly recommended to me FOR hubby the D man, so im practicing on me while looking into its value for him.  One thing i do know about it is you definatly use a juicer spacifically 'for' wheat grass as it can be binding if not done right. 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »

I was drinking a lot of carrot juice the summer my kidneys failed.  A routine blood test revealed a very high potassium level.  I love carrot juice, but I don't drink it anymore.
KatieV

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 07:58:18 AM »

I was on a raw diet involving lots of carrot juice for a few years when growing up.  I strongly believe it extended my kidney function.  I was around 9 to 11 years old during the raw diet.  My kidneys lasted until I was 20 years old; my two siblings who also have kidney disease (and are 7 and 9 years younger than me) were in end-stage by age 13.  Our type of kidney disease has an average ESRD age of 13.  It is a water-wasting disease (we had to drink 2 gallons of water a day to stay hydrated!), so it is probably different than most.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
IGould

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:47 AM »

As the researches shows, i think liquid and food differ in their effects on power consumption and bodyweight, except that fluids in the form of broth may lead to reduced power consumption and bodyweight.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »

I've been drinking the juice of a lemon once a day.  We have a lemon tree in our backyard.   I've read it's good for kidney stones, but also warnings against it if you have renal failure.  I just drink a little, but you never know how much is too much.
Abdiel

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 06:06:43 AM »

Juices are liquid buddy what you have mentioned i mean carrots its just wonderful especially when it comes to nutrition the results are awesome.
Use it with orange juices both are full of benefits.Just don't bother it is a liquid or not.

Dman73

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 09:10:50 AM »

Juicing is great if you are healthy but as a D patient is an invite to fluid overload not to mention non water soluble vitamins & minerals (Vit A, D & potassium ect.)

You may get away with it if you are a new D patient and have some kidney function but eventually you it will affect you lab values.

Check with your nutritionist to make sure.

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »