I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 11:37:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  Renal Romance Site
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Renal Romance Site  (Read 13601 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: January 27, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »

Hey Folks, the Renal Romance Site is not as busy as it could be.  I think Sluff and I are having conversations with each other more often than not.  How about checking it out.  It looks very similar to this site, but has some very interesting threads going on it. 
Just a reminder it is there for us.  I am there, even though I am an old married folk, because it discusses things that are
not ususally discussed over here. Besides just because I have been married twenty-one years, does not mean the romance is dead.

www.renalromance.com

Link Added - Rerun / Moderator
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 03:50:15 AM by Rerun » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
thom

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:34:48 AM »

The question is...whyuse pictures of healthy people on the front page? :banghead;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:12:20 AM »

The question is...whyuse pictures of healthy people on the front page? :banghead;

How do you know they are healthy?
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:01:24 AM »

Yeah, exactly. I know a lot of people on dialysis and you can't even tell they have kidney disease. Do all patients have to look like "sickos"?

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 03:12:29 PM »

Maybe this is what he had in mind. . .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 03:32:30 PM »

How did ya guess?   :rofl;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »

A cute couple who met at dialysis:

Here's their story: http://www.thesylvaherald.com/80s-couple.htm

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 03:58:56 PM »

HAHA EXCELLENT!  :thumbup; I mean it's really sad that in his mind people on dialysis have to "Look Sick" I guess he's never seen "Amanda from Oz" pic: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1227.msg18342#msg18342  ;)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

thom

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 02:36:18 AM »

Yeah, exactly. I know a lot of people on dialysis and you can't even tell they have kidney disease. Do all patients have to look like "sickos"?

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

oh coem on it's blatantly obvious they aren't renal patients, it's dialysis, we look different.  :grouphug; :thumbdown;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 03:05:16 AM »

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

oh coem on it's blatantly obvious they aren't renal patients, it's dialysis, we look different.  :grouphug; :thumbdown;
Well I know I look like a pale druggy with my arm like this :P But in winter clothes I think I look like everyone else :P Maybe not as hot as Amanda but you know what? Amanda and I have been talking and I think that a lot of people on dialysis stop really trying to make themselves look hot because well ... we feel that we are "sick and unattractive" (NOT ALL OF US! Don't get mad at me for saying that now!). Maybe Amanda and I will start a thread on RR about tips and tricks to look hotter. Who knows. Tell us what you think ;)

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for us to willingly look like sickos!! We are alive damn it and we are living our lives to the fullest! I mean, look at Epoman and all he has acccomplished! Look at Zach at how he doesn't let dialysis stop him! I know it is easy to feel that we are not like those people on the banner, but why not? Yes, at first renal failure hits us and we are anemic and pale and weak and tired, but then are levels get better with dialysis and proper diet and we can't be held back!

We all get discouraged and feel crappy but maybe we should tell ourselves to fix ourselves up at least once a month or better yet once a week just for our own damn selves! Infact, maybe we will encourage everyone do this and post our hottest pics!

Who knows .. maybe it is the lack of sleep talking :P

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 06:09:47 AM »

But in winter clothes I think I look like everyone else :P Maybe not as hot as Amanda but you know what? Amanda and I have been talking and I think that a lot of people on dialysis stop really trying to make themselves look hot because well ... we feel that we are "sick and unattractive" (NOT ALL OF US! Don't get mad at me for saying that now!). Maybe Amanda and I will start a thread on RR about tips and tricks to look hotter. Who knows. Tell us what you think ;)

I think the two of you should start a thread here, on IHD!

This is an interesting discussion.  It's very important to have a positive self-image, especially when fighting a chronic illness.  I think having tips (for both men and women) would be a good idea.

I may hate dialysis, but I take pride in myself!

As for what thom said, I must admit, I have always been disappointed that organizations such as the National Kidney Foundation or the American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP) tend to use "stock photos" of people on their web sites or in their publications.

I understand the great convenience of using stock photos --little or no cost, usually no royalties-- but there are enough of us out there to use our faces.  People in stock photos tend to look like "Stepford" men and women.

Perhaps Epoman could start a new venture, a modeling agency called, People Like Us.  I think for a time the AAKP had an annual contest for selecting a number of people on dialysis to appear in the organization's membership posters.

Maybe the RR photos can be changed to some of us, from the family photos.  All you would need are release forms of some sort.

The Renalist   8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 06:13:32 AM »

Maybe a few release signatures and we could put a few member photos in there...Thoughts?
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 06:23:34 AM »

Maybe a few release signatures and we could put a few member photos in there...Thoughts?

You'll get mine!

By the way, here's a story about a female bodybuilder who happens to be on dialysis:

http://www.vincesmuscleshop.com/Brielle.htm
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:43:49 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 08:22:13 PM »

I think the two of you should start a thread here, on IHD!

This is an interesting discussion.  It's very important to have a positive self-image, especially when fighting a chronic illness.  I think having tips (for both men and women) would be a good idea.

I may hate dialysis, but I take pride in myself!

Oh very good! Can we get a guy who will post with Amanda and I in the new thread about tips to look your best while on dialysis?

As for what thom said, I must admit, I have always been disappointed that organizations such as the National Kidney Foundation or the American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP) tend to use "stock photos" of people on their web sites or in their publications.

When I designed my site header, the pic of a person on dialysis I used myself. It would be REAL cool if Epoman used pics from members here for his RR header. Of course those members would have to volunteer to be in that banner ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 08:25:03 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 11:34:37 PM »

You'll get mine!

By the way, here's a story about a female bodybuilder who happens to be on dialysis:

http://www.vincesmuscleshop.com/Brielle.htm

Cool, but the REAL question is could we get Amanda's pic? :o Or is she to hot to be included thom? Since she doesn't look sick AT ALL!

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 03:33:02 PM »

Hey I am all for hot pics. Lets do a IHD calender We can pose in swimsuits while at dialysis most people are under blankets  so it would be up to your imagination. Boxman55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 03:34:30 PM »

Hey I am all for hot pics. Lets do a IHD calender We can pose in swimsuits while at dialysis most people are under blankets  so it would be up to your imagination. Boxman55

*cough* *choke* *gag*  sorry, i just got a visual (of myself that is)  um, ew  ::)  count me out of this one :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 03:39:38 PM »

*cough* *choke* *gag*  sorry, i just got a visual (of myself that is)  um, ew  ::)  count me out of this one :P

Honey you have self esteem issues. You are one of the most beautiful persons I've ever known..you my friend are 1 in a Trillion. I mean this from the bottom of my heart.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 03:49:08 PM »

Honey you have self esteem issues. You are one of the most beautiful persons I've ever known..you my friend are 1 in a Trillion. I mean this from the bottom of my heart.

Awwwww shucks Sluff,  you know just what to say to make a lady feel good dont'cha ;)  Thank you kindly  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »

Hey sluff how high is your FEVER today? Has it gone down from 108?

>:D ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:55:02 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 03:58:37 PM »

112 right now picturing a swimsuit issued calendar from IHD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 08:48:01 PM »

Oh man.  I would be on the "count the scars on that one" page of the IHC.com calendar and definitely not on the swimsuit pages!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 02:47:16 PM »

Hello all, i have been away for the weekend so i have been trying to catch up on reading sine i have been back. Anyway back on topic.........

I think this new thread idea is a great idea. I think when you are on dialysis it changes not only how you feel on the outside but how you feel on the inside. And its important to focus on those issues. But this is not only an issue for "sick" people but a phrase i believe everyone goes through.

Now i  agree with the rest of you that not all dialysis patients look like "sickos". i know we all have our bad day, but i know a lot of people that have been on dialysis for awhile and still look great and there are a lot of you on this forum!!

And as the photos go.... either way weather we use photos of members or "stock photos" i don't think its important, like epoman said not everyone who suffers from a chronic illness has to look like they are on their death bed. I think the photos on RR are realistic and great.  :thumbup;

And as the IHD Swim suit calender goes... ............. .................. count me out!  :P

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 02:10:08 PM »

Hello all, i have been away for the weekend so i have been trying to catch up on reading sine i have been back. Anyway back on topic.........

I think this new thread idea is a great idea. I think when you are on dialysis it changes not only how you feel on the outside but how you feel on the inside. And its important to focus on those issues. But this is not only an issue for "sick" people but a phrase i believe everyone goes through.

Now i  agree with the rest of you that not all dialysis patients look like "sickos". i know we all have our bad day, but i know a lot of people that have been on dialysis for awhile and still look great and there are a lot of you on this forum!!

And as the photos go.... either way weather we use photos of members or "stock photos" i don't think its important, like epoman said not everyone who suffers from a chronic illness has to look like they are on their death bed. I think the photos on RR are realistic and great.  :thumbup;

And as the IHD Swim suit calender goes... ............. .................. count me out!  :P

Don't I have enough pain in my life?  :-\

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »