I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Half Match?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Half Match?  (Read 2189 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« on: February 25, 2007, 11:20:43 PM »

Hi all,

My lovely sister has been doing the tests to be considered for a donation (my brother is diff. blood group and 0 match on the HLA tests)... Anyway the tests came back and the doc says she's a half match (same blood group though) for me. I've been looking around and it seems like a half match is pretty good (compared with a full match) but can't really find much more than that except one study that seemed to imply that live relative donations with full match lasted on average 24 years, and half match could last 18 years (assuming there is no rejection of course).

I'm interested in the wisdom of these forums on this matter... if anyone here has had a half match transplant? And/or what they might have been told about any increased risks from this procedure? (I understand that less and less importance is being put on the HLA matches, but still).

I am trying to not get my hopes up on this one since there are heaps more tests to go and my sister has some issues of her own which may affect things... so I want to get some general idea of what I might be facing...

thanks,
richard

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
AlasdairUK

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:25:05 AM »

Hi Richard,

A half match is pretty good and these days with the advancement in immunosuppressent drugs they do not worry so much about the matching. It is more to do with how many anti-bodies you will create from the miss match of the tissue typing ie. for your next transplant if required as the more anti-bodies you have the harder it becomes to miss match the tissue type against your anti-bodies.

With stats regarding how long a transplant will last. You are always looking at outdated information as 10 years ago they would only transplant with a 3 in 6 match, nowdays they are happy to a 0 in six match.

If you received a kidney from a parent it would only be a 3 in 6 match. A complete match is very rare, you have a 25% chance from a sibling for both a complete match and a complete mismatch and a 50% chance of a 3 in 6 match.

There are also drugs that are less toxic to the kidney than in the past. A live donation is always better than a cadaveric even if the match is not as good.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:15:19 AM »

Jenna's donor (unrelated) was the same blood type (O) and a 1 out of 6 antigen match. There was a mild B cell antibody crossmatch that they dealt with by doing plasmapheresis the day before the surgery. They felt it was a very good kidney for Jenna.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »