I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 10:29:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  cooks/chefs on HD ???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: cooks/chefs on HD ???  (Read 5536 times)
Barry

« on: July 02, 2012, 04:50:47 AM »

I have Been a cook/chef my entire working Career started washing dishes at 16 and have over the years worked my way up head chef . Does anyone here work in the restaurant industry especially in the Kitchen while doing in center dialysis My doctor this it is a bad idea for me to return with the heat stress physical demands of the job etc. Just wondering if anyone out there has successfully done both dialysis and slave away in a kitchen for 12 hours a day if so how did it work for you.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »

Barry, I cannot think of anyone on here who is a chef specifically, though I certainly don't know everyone's story. However, I do know that certain members on here have done some pretty amazing things on dialysis. Usually home dialysis, pd or hemo, allows them to continue to lead extraordinary lives, but as far as I know, Zach has been on in-centre hemo for his entire 30 years (!!!!!) of dialysis. If you want to work as a chef, I would not let one nephrologist's opinion hold you back. I know it's a grueling profession, but maybe you could find a way to make it a little less taxing. Could you work in a cafe or similar with shorter hours and less intensity? Be a co-head chef, alternating with another person who wants to work part-time? Maybe others will have better ideas.

Good luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:23:02 AM »

I know a construction worker who did PD and kept up his weekly golf game with no slowing down.  What you can do depends on your own health, not what the docs think a dialysis patient should do.  Be aware of when you have had enough, but don't stop until you are ready to.

Having been involved in the family restaurant for years, yes, it can be stressful.  But, if you are like my father, it's a stress you are used to, and not working is going to stress you out even more!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Barry

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »

I would agree that the stress of not being in the kitchen is greater than being involved in it my biggest concern is the fluid balance do to the extreme temps But being in a kitchen is all i know. I think it would make me a much happier person overall if i could be in the enviroment I love
bleija

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »

id say try it, go in being honest and know ur limits. i am lucky my boss is very understanding, i work in a resteraunt as a server. but i still dnt have any clue about temps in a kitchen
Rain

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:22:26 AM »

You know about what your body can handle more then the doctors.  Maybe go back to work part time working your way up to full time and talk to your boss about a happy medium.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:38 PM »

There was a guy here a few years back who was a chef in North Carolina- I dont remember his name- He was on hemo and he struggled with tiredness, but he stayed in the kitchen. I think there is a firefighter here too. So if you feel up to it- go for it.  :flower;
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:31:35 PM by glitter » Logged

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 12:17:21 AM »

Yes, by all means, do whatever you are capable of. I personally would not recommend sky diving, but that is just me.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »

Hey, I went sky-diving while I was on D!  Better then instead of after a transplant, with all the extra organs to bump around in the harness.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

frankswife

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »

My hubby is the one on dialysis and I'm the sous chef, so I cant exactly answer your question, but knowing what I do/go through in the kitchen and seeing what he goes through, I have to say I can't picture doing both. I don't know what type of access you have but I'd be worried about burns and cuts on your arms, and a catheter would definitely be out of the question. Just my opinion!

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
Ricksters

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »

I was a chef.....Stayed on for almost a year after I started doing PD, and finally stopped back in June.My body couldn't take the stress of being on my feet 8 - 10 hours a day.  I really miss it....I stop in to chat frequently and keep getting asked when I am coming back.
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 06:15:28 AM »

Not a chef, but I would said the same as others.  Try part-time at first and see how you feel.  If you get too tired, then that will tell you your limits.  If OK, then move to working more.  My advice would be Don't jump back in full time.  Work back in as slowly until you know how PD and work will go together.  Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »