I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 05:27:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Hoping to go onto NxStage
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hoping to go onto NxStage  (Read 3258 times)
thecat2008

« on: September 19, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »

Hi,  I live in Herefordshire UK and am hoping to start Home Dialysis with the NxStage machine, I have found a Hospital that will train me to use the actual machine, but I have to get my Dialysis unit to train me to put my own needles in and take them out etc.  Is it easy to put your own needles in one handed and how ever do you take them out on your own.  Do you have to use buttonholes for Home Dialysis, who would train me to do that, as my Unit does not do that.  I do not fancy buttonholes as from pictures I have seen they make a big tunnel in your arm and does not look very nice and you have to pick the scabs off.  Is there anyone out there who is on the NxStage machine from the West/East Midlands UK, if so I would like to hear from you.  Any advice on starting to needle yourself or buttonholes would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Ruth
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:35:12 AM »

i don't live on thé UK but I do use thé NxStqge machine.  it is  definately possible to put your own needles in and take them out; I do both. to do the latter I tape a sterile gauze ball loosely. over the needle exit.  then I hold it with my thumb and then use my second and third finger to pull the needle.  as I pull, I start to apply a little more pressure with my thumb.  the last bit of theneedlemay comes out easily and as it does so I apply more pressure with my thumb and then hold pressure for the time that I know how long it takes for bleeding to stop.  this is using blunt needles.  I have not pulled sharps myself.  you cannot see the tunnel,as it is in the skin.  I think that you are referring to the fistula.  these are visible and some look better than others. 

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
noahvale
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:10:56 PM by noahvale » Logged
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »

Hi Ruth I'm in the UK too (Scarisbrick) and hoping to start Nxstage soon too. I've started needling myself a while back with sharps, and am trying to develop buttonholes (by myself cos nobody in clinic knew how to do it then) about 2 weeks ago. I'm righthanded and fistula in right arm too, but its going okay so far. On Youtube are a few video's that show how to take your own needles out to do Amanda100wilson's way.
I can take them out now, and its a lot less painfull then letting them do it.

lots of luck Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
thecat2008

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 07:25:04 AM »

Hi, Thanks for your comments, they are very helpful.  I have not started doing anything yet, am just waiting for someone to decide what to do.  Please keep posting your comments

Thanks
Ruth
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 07:48:51 PM »

Ruth, I truly hope you & Cas get NxStage in your country. We have been doing NxStage for over 2years now and it has been a great option for us both. John (Dialysor) reaps the rewards and I reap the breathers from time to time. We hope to go to Virgina Beach mid -October (please pray we can do it).  We go to Fri. night HS football games to watch Grandson play trumpet in the Band and rally for the team. Great bunch of kids at that school.  They are really respectful toward John and they take good care of him and I both. Seriously!

The thing about this type of home therapy is you are in control of your health.  John is prescribed 3 days on & 2 off.  If there is a change in schedule where we want to go somewhere or do something, we just change it.  Also, a month or so ago, John had done his 3 days but over did it on his intake, so I just hung bags and dialysised him a 4th day.  He wasn't particularly happy about that, but he knows he has to do his part.  I can't take any chances with his health.  Not going to! The point Im trying to convey, is that we can do this if we want.  No one overlooking our every move.  We have labs once a month, and they reflect good results.  If we had been in-center, we would not be able to enjoy the things that we have enjoyed.
You work it around your schedule, and that to me is just great!  I do him every evening after work. I can do things around the house if need be while he is on the machine (taped down for security), but most time, Im right there in bed laying beside him. Im so Blessed to have him, I mean that sincerely!  I hate this for him, but you know, it is for a reason and God is on His Throne.  I refuse to stress about it.  I use to, but not going to do it anymore.  I want to spend every precious moment with this Man I married, and NxStage affords me that luxury!!!!

God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »