I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2024, 04:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  High BP - Nothing done by staff
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High BP - Nothing done by staff  (Read 2689 times)
MDLoon

My Brain Hurts!

« on: October 15, 2012, 04:13:34 AM »

Hey there!
This past Friday afternoon, before my session, my BP was recorded as 200/102. Nothing was said by staff and no action was taken.  The only reason I discovered this was due to the fact that I regularly download my daily stats from the Davita website.  It seems to me that someone should have caught this little "anomaly" and sounded some sort of alarm, yet no one did.
I am concerned, because it sometimes feels like my facility functions like a "patient mill", with overworked staff maintaining minimal standards   I've already changed nephrologists and am in the process of moving to another facility.  :boxing;
Thoughts, anyone?

Father and Brother on dialysis, both deceased
Started Hemodialysis Jul 8, 2012
AV Fistula installed Oct 2, 2012
Rain

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:17:29 AM »

Bring it up yourself to the staff.  Are u currently on BP meds also take your BP at home and chart it and bring that in to the Dr

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
malaka

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »

This is a "doctor" issue -- the staff should report it but staff can't prescribe meds. And, assuming you have a doctor following you generally or for the complications of kidney failure, you should notify that doctor.  I like my docs, but they aren't psychic.  What's strange is that apparently nobody told you to see you doc asap re high bp.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »

Yes, it is a doctor issue.  Nephs are the experts at blood pressure medicine, according to my nurses.   I had blood pressure readings higher than yours at one point.  Are you eating a lot of salt or sugar?  Those things spike your blood pressure.   Do you get any exercise?   I'd be curious about what meds they have you on.  For BP readings of 200 they usually put you on five different drugs.  I have good insurance so I usually got the good ones.  Losing weight would also help.  (I have no idea bout how much you weigh).  The most important advice I can give you is that "SQUEAKY WHEELS GET THE GREASE."  Complain, loud and often, and don't be afraid to go to speak to the supervisors or nurses in charge, and if they don't help, talk to the complaint department at your hospital.  Good luck with this, and I urge you to seek help.
M3Riddler

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »

Hey there!
This past Friday afternoon, before my session, my BP was recorded as 200/102. Nothing was said by staff and no action was taken.  The only reason I discovered this was due to the fact that I regularly download my daily stats from the Davita website.  It seems to me that someone should have caught this little "anomaly" and sounded some sort of alarm, yet no one did.
I am concerned, because it sometimes feels like my facility functions like a "patient mill", with overworked staff maintaining minimal standards   I've already changed nephrologists and am in the process of moving to another facility.  :boxing;
Thoughts, anyone?

Mdloon,

Yes, that is uncalled for that there was no reaction. But remember, we also have a personal responsibility to educate ourselves and get involved with our care. Dont be afraid to pick up your chart and read it at each session. If you are awake, and the nurses are on their rounds, ask what your blood pressures were, ask to move the machine so you can see the screen. After all, this is our life and we need to be in control.
Dont be afraid to ask questions....
I would definitely ask the nurse that was on duty as well as let your nephrologist know. This should not have occured.

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

My Brain Hurts!

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »

Well, I did bring it up yesterday, only to be met with a rather blank stare, and an explanation that they usually wait for an hour or so to see if the BP falls to more normal levels, and if they didn't, THEN they would do something.  I countered with a suggestion that they could at least inform the patient (remember the patient??) of the situation, only to be met with the shrugging of shoulders and other behavior that indicated they had better things to do.  :banghead;

Father and Brother on dialysis, both deceased
Started Hemodialysis Jul 8, 2012
AV Fistula installed Oct 2, 2012
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »

This is not good. Kick ar**. Some one has to take responsibility.
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »

So, they say they usually wait an hour.  I can ALMOST  understand that (though I would wait five minutes, then check again,  personally).  I know patients can be number freaks (I am one of them; on a bad day, I could be called and alarmist).  My question is, what was your BP doing after an hour?

I agree with the above commenter.  They should tell you, but I never count on or trust anyone.  I always ask for the numbers, if I can't see the machine (I'm talking about check-ups, not on D yet).  I always tell my doc if my labs look weird to me, in case it gets missed.. Usually he says it's, not to worry.  Occasionally he says "oh, no one informed me, let me check" then gives me meds or otherwise remedies the situation.

I have learned that even nice people mess up, even conscientious people have bad days, and there are fewer and fewer conscientious people every day.

also, those competent, thoughtful people are usually doing the work of ten incompetents, so help them out by keeping your own eye out.  Of course, good on ya for checking your numbers once you got home/to a computer.  I would just go a step further by politely asking "what were my numbers?" in the tone I use for "is it supposed to rain today?"

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »