I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 06:22:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Swimming post transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swimming post transplant  (Read 6853 times)
lainiepop

« on: July 19, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »

A question about swimming! I'm 7wks post transplant & at some point soon would like to take my baby girl to mum & baby Water classes as my son Starts school Sep. However when discussing exercise with my neph she said don't swim in public pools as they're full of germs & easy to pick up infections from them. Tbh i wasn't bothered as i don't overly like swimming but been thin King more about it & wondering is thai just for first 6 mths or year or forever?!

So i thought you guys would know! Thanks in advance!

Marie

oh & is swimming in Sea out as well? Not much chance of that in England tho anyway! Last time i swam in sea was on honeymoon 7 yrs ago in Bahamas lol!

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »

I swim with a fistula and never had a problem with infection. I have no idea for a transplant though if more precaution is needed. Hopefully someone can help you.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »

I was told no swimming in lakes, too much bacteria.  We live very near Lake Erie and have a boat.  But, I was told pools with proper chemicals are fine (public pools must meet certain standards) and swimming in the ocean is also fine because of the salt water.  I have not been swimming yet, but hope to.
KatieV

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »

I was told that transplant patients should only swim in the ocean and in private, well-maintained pools.  No rivers, lakes, public pools, etc.  I did swim/wade in Lake Michigan two weeks ago, but we were on a trip and it was 95 degrees.  I generally try to behave myself.

My parents brought a home last year and it came with a pool.  It is very nice to be able to use it.  As a funny bonus - the pool is kidney shape!   :lol;

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »

I remember going for a swim post tx, but I don't think I would do that 7 wks post tx. Your immune-system might not be strong enough yet. I would wait quite a bit longer, I wouldn't risk ik. Is it really worth it?

love Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:29:43 PM »

My center says no lakes no rivers. I'm ok in properly chlorinated pools, public or private. Before dialysis, with my first transplant, I swam all the time. I did not have problems. But I would just take my doc's advice.
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »

I was always told the same... Only private pools & oceans when I had my first transplant. All other areas can be an infection waiting to happen. Your lucky to have a kidney I wouldn't take any chances.. you dont know what is in the other lakes, rivers, etc. Still enjoy your summer & good luck with your kidney!  :)
~ Marna

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
lainiepop

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »

I wouldn't go swimming now anyway i meant in future obviously won't be again hubby will have to take kids I don't mind cause i hate Swimming messes my hair lol!  & i wouldn't swim in a lake anyway too cold & germ y lol x

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 09:00:27 AM »

Well I've been "swimming" in the lake at my sister's cottage - if you count wading from the pontoon to a chair in the water as swimming.  The adults drink and sit in the shade of the overhanging trees while the kids jump from the rope swing.  I figure that's safe enough, since I don't even get my shorts wet.  I don't think I'd intentionally dunk myself though - and so far, I haven't tipped my kayak.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »