I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:25:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis is a Small Part of the Picture
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis is a Small Part of the Picture  (Read 3085 times)
Gerald Lively

« on: September 02, 2014, 02:35:51 PM »

Hello Guys and Gals and you “Others”.
Here it is, nearly 76 years of age and my shrink says to write a book.  And I thought I was old enough to forget homework.  OK, okay, I know what he meant, he thinks I’m depressed.  I don’t know where he got that impression, I have only been dealing with major life threatening illnesses for twenty-one years. (Notice how I slipped that one in here).  How does one write about the good and bad (mostly bad) events over 76 years?

An example: in a science class we were working on theory of steam power.  We had this one gallon can, filled it halfway with water, poked a hole in the lid, took a lid from a can of vegetables and made a fan out of it, then cranked up the heat. It worked very well.  At home I was telling my sister about all this when a neighbor kid stopped by. He stuck a piece of dry spaghetti in the hole and it swelled up, sealed the hole and we ran for the hills. The kid was nuts. Well the lid exploded, hit the ceiling and put a large gash in the ceiling.

My parents were not particularly tolerant of the explorative aspects of the teenage mind.  I had to find a solution before they came home from work. Or death awaited me.  The ceiling was painted yellow, bright yellow.  Hey, I didn’t pick the color.  I had to use available materials and it had to be good enough that they couldn’t see the difference.  I came up with a brilliant idea.

Remember Fluffo cooking fat, you know, just like Crisco only yellow!  Turns out it was the identical color of the wounded ceiling. I slopped that Fluffo on the ceiling, did a cute little texture job and prayed.

After that time I did a tour in the Army, married and had a litter of kids.  One day about fifteen years later I gazed up at that spot on the kitchen ceiling. I did such a good job that I couldn’t tell if my patch was still up there. I pulled out a chair and got up there, it was still Fluffo.
The bad news is all you people ate that stuff.  Makes one wonder.

Is that what my shrink wants?  76 years of Fluffo stories?  Okay, so I short-sheeted my sister’s bed, invented a gun that shot marbles as fast as a bullet, and tossed soft tomatoes at cars after dark and one car chased us through an orchard where the car go stuck.

Back in ‘93 I retired from a high stress job and immediately contracted cancer, which led to surgery and some especially mean chemotherapy, which resulted in the discovery of prostate cancer followed by some mean style of surgery, then emergency gall bladder surgery.  Then the prostate cancer came back and following that I glowed in the dark.  I must have said something sexist in the company of a female because a doctor said I was constipated while he missed the return of Lymphoma that was blocking the blood flow to the kidneys which led to the simultaneous protocol for chemo and dialysis.  I am off of both now.  Alas, what is next.?  I have learned that I have, ready for this, an immunoglobulin deficiency.  Guess what the theray might be.  That’s right, they stick a couple of thingys in my tummy once a week and it requires two hours. 
So, I saw my shrink.  I am not going to wrtite no book, no how.  All my secrets would be on paper and someone would hack my computer and they’d discover - - I’m not telling you what they would discover.

Kootie J

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »

I would read your book. Actually, I'd love it if it was in audio format. If you speak as you write, it would be a memorable experience. I don't think I'd let a teenager near it though. You'd give them too many ideas.

On a more serious note, it makes me sad if there's even a sliver of truth about depression.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
LisaBart

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »

I actually think you would write a great book....and I know you would put loads of funny stuff as well as the serious....I enjoyed reading this.....you are a tough fella!!
Gerald Lively

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »

Depression, yep I have it or it has me.  I also realize that I have good coping skills.   I'm upset that this doctor business is not over, finished, done.   Maybe I'll think of some stories. Telling stories when depressed is kind of like deciding if you really want to rescue your dog after you see him barking at a skunk.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »

Great to see you maintaining your good form, Gerald.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:13:45 AM by galvo » Logged

Galvo
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »

Good to "see" you on here again, Gerald!  :cuddle; :cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:43:54 PM »

As you do, when medical people ask me if I am depressed, I say, oh, no, not me, I am fine. Of course I am depressed you MORON!!!! I have CKD, am too old to get a new kidney plus have congestive heart failure. Dont ya think that is enough? Next time I am going to refer them to you, and I am sure you can get your point across and thank you velly much!!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »

Go ahead and write the book, but limit distribution to those 35 and older.  My Grandson already calls me Bad Grampa, long before the movie came out.  Parts of your book I may have to heavily redact so as not to give him any more ideas than I already have.

You have a wonderful sense of humor and a great way of laying out a tale.

It should be a hit.
joval

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 06:46:01 PM »

So happy to see you, Gerald.  I miss your great writing.  You really should write a book, you are so interesting.  Please don't leave us again.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »