I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 04:38:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  He's got that catheter in his neck, now what?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: He's got that catheter in his neck, now what?  (Read 7629 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: January 07, 2006, 09:46:17 PM »

He says they didn't tell him anything about how to take care of it, whether he can shower, etc, etc.  What do we need to do with it?  He doesn't start dialysis until next week probably.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 10:45:26 PM »

He says they didn't tell him anything about how to take care of it, whether he can shower, etc, etc.  What do we need to do with it?  He doesn't start dialysis until next week probably.

He can shower but he needs to not get the area wet at all or he could cause an infection. Make sure the nurse changes the dressing and cleans the area after EVERY treatment. He will have the neck access until he gets a permanate access put in either a Fistula or a Graft depending on the quality of his veins if he has the Graft put in he may only have the neck access for a couple of weeks if he has the Fistula done he may have the neck access for several months while the Fistula matures. a Fistula is his own veins and a Graft is a artificial tube put in to act as a vein.

So getting back to his neck access just make sure he keeps it dry and clean and all should be well.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 10:47:38 PM »

Thanks.  Next dumb question, how does one shower without getting it wet? LOL

Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 11:18:07 PM »

Thanks.  Next dumb question, how does one shower without getting it wet? LOL

Well you can just not wet that area wash everything below the chest area. Also wrap up the area with extra gauze and tape. Just be carefull. It can be done if your carefull.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
LifeOnHold

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 02:14:43 AM »

I had a catheter in my neck for two months, and they let me shower with it-- they gave me IV bandages that have a slot in the middle, and I put 2 of those around the catheter.

I took a shower with the bandages on, soaped them up with antibacterial soap, rinsed them off, then after the shower I took them off, dried off the area with a large square of gauze, then put two new IV bandages on, taped them down and taped the ends of the catheter to my chest so the tubes wouldn't yank on my skin.  I never got any infections.

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
geoffcamp

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 05:39:47 AM »

I use a clear large bandage and it stays water tight, my dialysis center provides them.  Then after the shower I cahnge my dressing by using alcolhol pads to clean the area then put on a new bandage.  I have had a cath for as long as 6 months and never had any problems with infection.

Geoff

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 09:42:14 AM »

I tape Saran wrap over it and after my shower I blow dry the area on a low setting.  Just make sure no moisture is left because that is where bactera grows.

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 11:45:23 AM »

Do you think it would be worth gently wiping the area with alcohol or chlorhexidine solution a few times a day?  He tends to sweat with his job and you mentioned moisture causing bacterial growth.

Joe died July 18, 2007
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 06:49:40 PM »

The way I used to bathe with my catheter was very elemental.  I just held a small folded towel over the area as I showered.  I would just change which hand held it as I manoeuvred.
I had a graft so that just lasted for a while.  There was a time I couldn't bathe at all because I had the catheter on one side and the operation for the graft on the other side, so I was bandaged both sides.  Horrible time!  Just bathing like a sick old lady.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kevno

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 03:16:32 PM »

I have had tesio lines (like 2 catherters). in my neck for over 2 years now.when I take a shower I use a waterproof dressing, then chenge it after to shower. Using betadine to clean around the catherters. Then Clean non-woven swabs and micropore tape. It's worked for me, up to now. This line are only supposed to last for 6 months. Thats why they keep trying me with needles, just incase the lines fail.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »