I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 01:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Catch 22 -- Transplant Version
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catch 22 -- Transplant Version  (Read 3176 times)
malaka

« on: March 11, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »

Ever read (or see the movie) Catch 22?  Apparently its been updated and moved over to kidney transplants.  I applied for transplant list at my local/regional transplant center and went through the history and physical, etc.  They told me they had one concern -- my proteinuria was high and my blood albumin was low. 

I started dialysis a couple of months ago, and told my transplant coordinator.  She had me come in for routine testing.  Guess what?  I'm still spilling too much protein in my urine.  "And that means what, exactly" I innocently asked.  "You are still on the transplant list but are not eligible to actually receive a transplant until your protein levels are better".  And, I asked, "how does that happen?"  I learned that because I'm still peeing and peeing protein, I'm not going to get a transplant until my kidneys fail 100% so nothing leaves. 
That's Catch 22.  I'm not sick or well enough to receive a transplant.

Really made my day. :urcrazy;
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »

When i was originally diagnosed  (1993 or 94) it was because of 4+ protein in my urine which, BTW, never improved up until my transplant in 2008.  I never did dialysis.  I think I was spilling in the 6000 range (6000-8000 maybe), so that might be lowever than what you are spilling.  ???  But my high protein was never a problem in my testing and transplant.   Keep on your doctors to lower your protein.  Change your diet.  Get the facts!  Good Luck!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:11:34 AM »

I've heard of some people having pre emptive transplants meaning having a transplant before kidneys failing and going on dialysis. But, you had to have a donor willing to give is what I heard (Anyways, thats up here in Canada where I'm from) Things could be different elsewhere.

But, I've honestly never heard of anything like that why they wouldn't do a transplant because of too high protein levels......that's a new one for me.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 10:34:06 AM »

I've never heard the protein level thing. But it is true you have to be "sick enough" or they won't do a transplant. A transplant has risks as well as benefits and you have to get to the stage where the benefits outweigh the risks. When you're going through it it sucks. But intellectually you know they're right.
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »

In my pre-D years, I had proteinuria as high as 2gm in one day. My doc put me on benazapril to treat that, and it went down significantly. As I got closer to ESRD, he took me off of that and put me on other BP meds. Can they try that?

I was listed active a couple of months before dialysis. I never stopped peeing, but towards the end, I barely peed twice a day. I received a kidney from a relative after being on D for only 7 months. My albumin levels were in the normal range. The only time they were below was when I started D, and then it was only a little bit low. Talk to your neph about possible BP pills that may help with the proteinuria issue. You can't cut protein out of your diet because then that will only lower your albumin levels. *Frustrating!!!!*  :cuddle;

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »

Jenna still had protein in her urine before and after her transplant.
I would appeal the decision, and ask for help to remedy the situation.
Every transplant center has different rules. Sometimes you have to go elsewhere.
Do you know what your GFR is?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Restorer

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:43:19 AM »

I think they might be more concerned about your blood albumin levels than just the amount of proteinuria. Now that you're on dialysis, if you can supplement your diet with enough protein to bring your albumin levels up, maybe they'll change their minds. Whey protein isolate is a good source if you can't manage it with meat choices.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:42:18 AM »

I've always spilled a lot of protein in my urine, at one time it was 10 grams/day. My neph had it dropped down to 2 - 3 grams/day a few years ago, and I don't know what I spill anymore. She stopped checking it. She said it's pointness - I spill protein and there's nothing else that can be done about it, so why keep checking it? It's never been mentioned by anyone again, even through the transplant evaluation. I'm sure she keeps an eye on my albumin level. I'll have to check my last lab report to see what it's like, but I think it's ok since I'm not swollen. Long way around to saying I bet Restorer is right..

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »

Wow!!!  What is that all about?  I have spilled protein my entire adult life.  I wasn't dx with kidney disease until I was in my early 30's when my creatinine was 1.1 (even though I had protein in my urine during my college physical).  It took 14 more years to get to 2.8 and a preemptive transplant.  I was also listed with UNOS for 11 months prior to the living donor (brother) transplant.  The main criteria for UNOS was a function less than 20% and passing the cancer, heart , psycho, insurance and gyno tests.  Nobody in the transplant program ever mentioned the protein in my urine... Isn't  protein in the urine a given with kidney failure?  I'd go to another transplant center if possible.

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
malaka

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »

Thank you all.  The blood level of albumin is low, and the protein in the urine is high.  I'm going to try to arrange a conference with my transplant coordinator to find out exactly why I'm not going to get a kidney untill, it appears, my kidneys entirely stop functioning.   

Strange thought. The Catholic Church abolished Limbo some years ago.  The transplant center has not.  I'm sitll on the list, but if I'm not eligible for a transplant, what's the point?
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 02:34:24 PM »

That's a good one. We're all in Limbo.
malaka

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »

Well, following a telephone call from my nephrologist to my transplant coordinator, she called me yesterday to let me know that I was on the transplant list effective January 13, the first day of dialysis for me.  I'm still not a surgical candidate, but apparently my nephrologist explained to her that my kidney function was still declining and would probably disappear in a year or so.  Thus, given the average 5 year wait here for a cadaveric kidney (I'll explain why I'm not asking my semi-adult kids for donation elsewhere) I'm still eligible to be on the list.
All I have to do is show up annually and besides the normal physical exam, provide urine and blood samples for testing.  Geez...like I haven't provided gallons of those fluids already and a few more vials won't hurt. 

So, I dropped from August, 2011 to January, 2012 but that's the only harm.  And yes, I'm keeping my mouth shut.

I need to thank my nephrologist.  He was my advocate as well as treating physician.  :yahoo;
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 10:56:32 AM »

Good.  You can begin accruing time.  I had no idea that you could be listed without being a candidate for surgery just yet.  I'm really glad to hear that there is some room in the rules for compassion and mercy.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
malaka

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:24:50 PM »

Thanks, M Mom.  I just wanted to keep accruing time.  Before this apparent change of heart, I was "on hold" and not accruing time unless and until I proved I wasn't peeing away perfectly good protein. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »