I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 03:33:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Cannulation needles (blundts) don't go in all the way...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cannulation needles (blundts) don't go in all the way...  (Read 3993 times)
flanbyjan

« on: April 22, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »

My husband has been using his fistula and on dialysis for about two months.  At home he cannot push the needle all the way in the button hole and if he does, he does not get a good flashback.  Sometimes he puts it in and then pulls it back out a bit in order to get a better flow and reduce his arterial number when running.  Anyone else run into this?  Do you think he is not hitting the fistula correctly????  Thanks.
Desert Dancer

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »

Could be that the needles are too long for his fistula. Have you asked about getting shorter ones?

Or it could be that he's hitting a dip in the fistula. Have you tried flipping the needles over once they're in? I flip both of mine over because my fistula is very shallow and if I don't, the needles suck up against the top of it.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:59:34 PM »

I put a 'pillow' under the line to hold it at a slight tilt down.  I used to flip but it really bugged me and this has worked for over a year.  Give each of these a try, ya never know :) 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
flanbyjan

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:35:42 PM »

will ask about needle size and try the flip and gauze support.  The nurse thinks he's hitting the bottom of the vein and suggested going in at a different angle and not going so deep.

Tonight was bad!!!  Should have called the 800 number but we panicked.  Kept getting a red 24 and tried everything to clear it, then decided to end the session and I couldn't get the rinseback symbol to light up.  Ended up I was still in alarm so holding the stop button did nothing... We ended up doing half a treatment and losing the blood.  He gets really nervous if the blood is in the lines too long and we're trying to clear alarms, etc.  Worried about clotting, which I totally get.  But panic makes me forget things....And then he took off the arterial line without clamping so blood was everywhere....
nice evening...better luck tomorrow. :rant;.
Hazmat35

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »

I have had a buttonhole for over 2 years now.  And every once in a while, maybe once a week, it seems to "scab" over for a better term, more than others. 

The Techs have to "PUSH" VERY VERY hard to get past it.  It has actually scared some of them, because of how hard they have had to push.  But what they do, is use a SHARP needle to get past the overgrown scab, and it slides in like butter.  Next treatment, back to blunt needles with no issues. 

The sharp needle, just reopens the pathway for the buttonhole that has already been established, and you should be back to normal.

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Desert Dancer

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 01:34:27 PM »

I have had a buttonhole for over 2 years now.  And every once in a while, maybe once a week, it seems to "scab" over for a better term, more than others. 

The Techs have to "PUSH" VERY VERY hard to get past it.  It has actually scared some of them, because of how hard they have had to push.  But what they do, is use a SHARP needle to get past the overgrown scab, and it slides in like butter.  Next treatment, back to blunt needles with no issues. 

The sharp needle, just reopens the pathway for the buttonhole that has already been established, and you should be back to normal.

I do the same thing with sharps to re-open the buttonhole, but since I do nocturnal I can't sleep with sharps in. I use the sharps just to re-open the hole then I pull the sharps and insert the blunts.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
flanbyjan

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their replies.  Past couple times he's had to push very hard.  We adjust needle, use gauze etc.  The tunnels are on angles and he has to make a turn once he sees flashback.
We're working through it.  When you can't get a hit, it sucks! :rant;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »