I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 10:34:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  weight loss and gain after transplant
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: weight loss and gain after transplant  (Read 12528 times)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »

I appreciate all of the input you've shared and am sorry for the controversy this topic seems to stir up.
Oh, good heavens, Diane, no! You have zero reason to feel sorry. Controversial topics are the reason many of us feel comfortable on IHD, because we can express our honest opinion. Plus, how were you to know that this is one of those issues that I cannot be silent about (and others probably feel the same).

I recently visited another renal forum, one for transplant patients, and was reading along and saw a moderator's note saying that this person had deleted the name of a transplant centre from a member's post, because the person had a bad experience at that hospital. The note explained that the mod did not want people who were listed with that centre to be scared by this information - it's a different way of looking at things to be sure. My feeling is, I WANT to hear the range of experiences about these hospitals, and I assume that if someone on IHD asks, they want to hear honest opinions and answers from anyone who has a comment.

Glad things seem to be going so well. Your doctor sounds like a sane one - not all of them are.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »

I am the oddball, didn't gain weight after transplant and prednisone hasn't even given me chipmonk face (insert your joke here).
Ensure Plus is getting intolerable to drink, so just give me what weight you do not want.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »

I gained 30 lbs after transplant and am still having difficiulty losing it.  After transplant my stomach was huge!  It's not as big now, but it's still bigger that it's ever been, and I'm talking a little pooch.  I have a big stomach, but it was bigger after translant.  I HATE IT!  For me it's harder to lose weight on on these meds, but I have been off Prednisone for over a year now.  I'm not still gaining and I lost about 6-7 lbs after stopping the Prednisone.

The horrible side effects I've had post transplant have been the weight gain, the change in my body overall and my hair!  I couldn't go 2 days in a row without somone commenting on my hair (strangers mostly) and I haven't had a hair compliment since transplant.  The meds have messed up the curl and the textrure.  :(

Oh well...such is life.  I have a kidney and I complain too much.   Good Luck!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »

I am the oddball, didn't gain weight after transplant and prednisone hasn't even given me chipmonk face (insert your joke here).

This is my point, though. Chris, you did not gain weight on prednisone. If your doctors truly believe that you need to gain weight for health purposes, I imagine you would not appreciate it if they came to the conclusion that "you don't care about your health or your transplant because you're not gaining weight - you must not be trying" rather than attempting to find the reason behind why you cannot seem to gain anything. They probably don't know why you aren't gaining weight other than people are different. Those who do gain large amounts of weight (large being relative) are often accused of being out-of-control, binging, slothful liars who just don't want to put the work in. I have seen this issue from both the overweight and underweight side, and it was infinitely easier from the underweight side - you are not viewed as undermining your own health, you are viewed with sympathy, at least I was. In kidney failure I could not gain weight no matter what I did, and I tried. When I had my eval, I needed to have a BMI of at least 18 or I would be excluded from the trial. They told me to step on the scale and she told me I could take my jacket off, and I just said "that's OK" and jumped on the scale. She was confused by this response, but said nothing. I weighed 102 with my jacket on, putting me at a BMI of exactly 18. That coat was going nowhere!

As much as I am skeptical by the 20lbs statistic, I have to admit that it is almost dead-on for me. I would like to lose 10 pounds, but it is not a health issue, it is a cosmetic issue and I admit this. I actually now weigh around what my LA nephrologist always wanted me to weigh. (Maybe it's a bit of a mental health issue in my case.)

Oh, Kelly! I just loved your last photo and I thought your hair looked gorgeous. I somehow never got round to telling you. I know how much it messes up one's self-esteem to gain weight. I hate it, too, and I really cannot blame the prednisone because I've been off it 5 years. But I definitely cannot complain - I know I gained weight because my health improved so dramatically and if I never lose another ounce, I'll still be thrilled with the results of the transplant.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 01:43:54 AM »

Interesting about the 20 pounds comment (that's 9kg for us metric folks). I was told putting on weight post-tx was absolutely normal but never really given a figure - one time I heard +10% but yeah, don't know. It certainly jives with me because I gained about 7-8kg, which was bang on 10% for me, and just under that 20 pound mark - now I do fluctuate a bit +/- 2-3kg (mostly on the + side *blush*) but I do find that it doesn't get TOO out of whack.

It's hard when you want to ENJOY food, and I rationalise to myself that "Yes, you should have that super yummy ice cream/ice coffee/fried chicken/whatever because you just don't know how long you will have this gift and opportunity" but I do temper with exercise and I have made changes at home like low salt/cholesterol free spread, I use unsalted cashews when I cook(or eat), I never add salt to stuff when I am out and about (but you buy a buger and friess and it's salt central anyway) and I use skim/low fat milk, order a "skilly late" when out etc(though recently I've cut the lattes and just have a macciato - just a "dash" of milk).

I do agree with Cariad though that you seem to get to a certain point and you just can't take off more than that post-tx weight you have put on. Docs have never mentioned a concern with my weight, but I'm not sure if they really bother to seriously take note of it. I am aware though and do weigh myself on a regular basis to keep tabs. When I don't walk for a few weeks or don't do as much as normal due to weather, or travelling or whatever then yeah I will put on a bit, but it does come back usually which I am pretty pleased about.

I do worry though that I do know that big weight fluctuations can be unhealthy so try and be moderate with my meals, snacks etc... of course I am about to leave the country on holidays and know I will "let go" a bit to sample new/different foods etc... but that's life!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »